Soguce hits again! I need a preamp. Suggestions

CyanJaguar

Ok, I got this mesa 20/20 amp with 7 tubes and I just love it. Only thing is it exposed my preamp (rp14d) as not being the best sounding unit.

I need a preamp for this thing that can realistically simulate some famous amp heads: Marshall DSL , mesa Dual rectifier, Peavey XXX.

I dont need a bunch of effects, I just need the realistic VOICING

This will be used in a live rig consisting of preamp, poweramp, and 4x12 cab.

PLease make some suggestions.

THanks .Olu

You can look at the Behringer V-AMP Pro. People hate Berry stuff, but I have a friend that uses this in his live rig and it sounds huge. Also the Boss GTpro which I think is about to be released. It's not in your price range, but it looks like it's going to be awesome.

You could also look at Sansamp and Rocktron preamps. Some of which you might be able to pick up new/used inside your price range.

With a power amp like that, I'd save the dollars and get a worthy preamp to match it. Otherwise you're justgoing to end up something that may not sound much better than what you've got.

CyanJaguar said:
I need a preamp for this thing that can realistically simulate some famous amp heads, etc...

I dont need a bunch of effects, I just need the realistic VOICING

This will be used in a live rig consisting of preamp, poweramp, and 4x12 cab.

PLease make some suggestions.

THanks .Olu
Well, since you're looking for something of quality that will accurately replicate various other, real world amplifiers, you might look into the SansAmp PSA-1. It is different from the preamps that digitally model amplifiers. But it does replicate the sound of them, using analog transistor technology (specifically, MOSfets). It does this by using the MOSfets to simulate tube distortion characteristics at different frequency ranges. The amp emulations are pretty credible. Unlike the preamps that use digital modeling, the amp models in the SansAmp actually respond to your playing and your guitar much like a real amplifier does. In fact, I've never cared for digital modeling preamps, but I LOVE the PSA-1. It's expensive, but worth it, IMHO.

Admittedly, as a bass player, I've mostly used the bass amp presets, and developed several of my own. However, I'm going to be picking up a six string electric real soon, and it'll be my only "guitar amp" for the time being. It has always sounded good with any guitar I've tried plugging into it. In fact, many of the guitar players that I've jammed with were absolutely amazed when we plugged their guitar into my bass rig and were able to find presets that sounded better than the stock guitar amp that they brought with them - often MUCH better!!!! I always get a real kick out of that. :D :D :D

It comes pre-programmed with 10 Marshal amp simulations, as well as 10 Fenders, 10 MESA Boogies, 10 bass amps, and other stuff. And it has 49 user presets for the sounds that you develop on your own.

New, it would be just outside your price range. (I think it's $599.) But you might be able to find a used one on eBay. That's where I got mine.

Sounds like it would be just what you're looking for. I'd look into it if I were you.

Brad

you guys will laugh.

My guitar center has my exact setup. Mesa 20/20 into a b-52 412. I plugged a pod into it and it sounded like S%^% and then just for the heck of it I plugged in the triaxis and it was the most beautiful sound ever. So now I am hooked. I heard that the mesa quad is also nice for less money and I think Zoo's music has one, so I'll play thru it and decide.

It'll be one of those two though.

the shop did not have the mesa quad. It turned out that what I thought was a quad was actually a mark 11c.

Anyhoo, I picked up a cheap , all tube peavey rockmaster. It sounds good , so I'll use that while I save for the triaxis (or maybe I should just get an all tube head at those prices)

Back