Softwares determine Sound Quality?

Bloodbought

Does Cubase Software make music sound better than say, Vegas Pro? I was told that the software has a LOT to do with the quality of sound also??? Thanx

I tested just about every "flagship" program when I was looking for a new DAW. Vegas, Nuendo, ProTools, Sonar, blah, blah, blah.

I settled on Nuendo. It took a beating like nothing else and the summing (IMO) was right off the scale.

As I understand it, Cubase SX uses the same audio engine as Nuendo.

KEEP IN MIND - These were only quasi-scientific subjective tests. There are some who like PT, others who like Vegas, Sequoia, etc. SO, your mileage may vary.

Massive Master. I bought the Vegas Pro software about 5 years ago and it cost around $500. I thought I could just keep it and upgrade everything else..preamp, mic, soundcard, computer.. but The Guitar Center in Dallas said that the Vegas Pro would cause my music to sound worse, especially with a Lexicon Core II soundcard????

Personally I think any differences between the various applications is so subtle that it's simply a non-issue.

I used to use Vegas quite a bit for mixing - I never had a problem with the sound of it.

No idea if the Lex will have any "problems" with Vegas, but I think you've got someone at GC who is in need of... Training?

Bloodbought said:
Massive Master. I bought the Vegas Pro software about 5 years ago and it cost around $500. I thought I could just keep it and upgrade everything else..preamp, mic, soundcard, computer.. but The Guitar Center in Dallas said that the Vegas Pro would cause my music to sound worse, especially with a Lexicon Core II soundcard????

The people at Guitar Center, for the most part are morons looking to just make a sale. They were telling you Vegas sucked beacuse they probably wanted you to buy a nice new shrinkwrapped version of Cubase or Sonar.

C'mon man, you should know better than that!

I'm with Al Chuck. I don't think software has anything to do with sound quality. Any key differences will be found in your clock and soundcard.

The first software I used when I got my pc set up was N-Track. Then I used Cool Edit Pro a couple times before I switched to Samplitude about a year later. There was no difference in sound quality whatsoever.

I used a Lexicon Core 2 for several years without problems. The quality of your recording is going to depend on your ears, your technique, and your gear, in roughly that order. So far my gear is smarter than my ears, but I'm working on it. Any differences attributable to your sound card or software (assuming it is doing the minimum job) are going to buried in the grosser differences due to your technique or other gear.

Ok. Thanks you guys. I guess I should know better then that especially with all i learn on this site..but he claimed to be the expert? Can anyone else expound on the Lexicon Core II soundcard?

I started out with one and used it for several years. In the beginning I used an analog mixer with the breakout box, but before long I went to a digital mixer and the ADAT I/O. The card was a little slow for me to set up, but I was a beginner, so that doesn't really count. Mine had the FX daughterboard but I never used it...I thought I would be recording with reverb or whatever a lot but once I got into it I stopped using the effects at all. It was troublefree for 3 years, which is maybe good or maybe bad. It finally cratered and I replaced it with a Terratec EWS88D so I could still use the ADAT I/O. I remember reading a lot of people's bad opinions of Core 2 cards but I think it was second-hand because no one offered any actual information when I asked. I did a lot of recording with mine and it did what it was supposed to. It's a little hard to compare directly with the Terratec because the T is much newer -- I think the Core 2 was discontinued some time ago? It was full duplex, and rather easier to route multiple I/O than the Terratec, but then I was using simpler recording software too at the time. There MAY have been a low limit on the sample rate/bit depth -- it's been too long, and the manual etc is long gone.

To sum up, I had no problems. It actually had more bells & whistles than I ended up using, and I'd probably still have it in the machine had it lasted.

It doesn't matter for strictly recording and playing back, but once you start mixing and applying effects it most certainly does. It's all in the algorthms. The algorthems in question are mathematical constructs of analog circuits, and what they are modeled after, how they are modeled, and how accurate their math is carried out makes a big difference.

RD

Back