software? Which to choose

db_loser

- Ableton Live
- Cubase
- Cakewalk
- Protools
etc etc etc .

What can you guys suggest I use for a small home studio type setup... Objective is to make some beats using a drum machine (midi), record a couple of synths (midi) some bass (analog), some voices and guitar...

I'm currently setting up, have an interface, but I'm not sure which program to use to make it all happen.

I'll be purchasing a book with the software and learn it on my own, so if there's one that's a little easier to get around, all the better

Thanks!

First of all, they all pretty much do the same thing.
There are slight differences in workflow and included tools and YOU need to find what works for YOU.

Go to the bookstore - they all have books in the Music Section on all the major programs - sit down and read, read, read until you have an AHA moment and find one you like and makes sense to you. If you fight with your sequencer, you wont get anything done.

Finally, add one to the list. Reaper www.reaper.fm is only $40 and you can try out the program for free with only a nag screen....

- Ableton Live
- Cubase
- Cakewalk
- Protools
etc etc etc .

What can you guys suggest I use for a small home studio type setup... Objective is to make some beats using a drum machine (midi), record a couple of synths (midi) some bass (analog), some voices and guitar...

I'm currently setting up, have an interface, but I'm not sure which program to use to make it all happen.

I'll be purchasing a book with the software and learn it on my own, so if there's one that's a little easier to get around, all the better

Thanks!
Tbh they are all good but i think cakewalk is less complicated and wont be a hassle for you. Pro tools however is industry standard and it takes time to master it. therefor i would suggest cakewalk or and it works with all interfaces unlike pro tools.

Thank you for the replies.

I've noticed that in this "hobby", the amount of stuff to learn does not stop.. 300 page manual for the synth, same for the drum machine. Interface is a little more simple to learn. Controllers, samplers, etc.

And with all that, I haven't touched the surface on Midi, connections, compressors, mics, etc etc etc...

Then comes the software... lol..

I'll keep researching. It's all pretty interesting.

Reaper is a very simple, straightforward DAW program. It will give you plenty more time to learn the ins and outs of the fun stuff like synths and effects because you won't need to spend time figuring out the DAW. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want. Either just arm track, hit record, go or dive in and learn how deep of a program it really is.

I've noticed that in this "hobby", the amount of stuff to learn does not stop..

Any 'hobby' that involves computers is by default going to be more rocket science than art.

And most other hobbies are the same.... I've been flying radio-controlled airplanes for over 30 years and I learn something new nearly every day!

Each has its own little way of doing something, but they all pretty much do the same thing. They will all render the same quality, too. The bugs will be different, but you will have installation and learning pains to overcome.

You mentioned you already have an interface, so if it's not Protools compatible, you can scratch that off the list. Unless, you want to buy a Protools compatible interface.

Didn't your interface come with a DAW program?? Most do.

IMHO I dont think they all do the same thing...there are definitely two camps when it comes to choosing a daw...for beats, electronica, i think youd have to go with Live...if I recorded mainly audio Id go with Reaper...a best of both worlds would be Studio One Pro

The others all do similar jobs with strengths and weaknesses but none match Reapers value for money or Lives ability to work with the building blocks of electronic music, Studio One has just about the best workflow out there and a great approach to mastering your projects

give as many demo's a try as possible would be my advice

IMHO I dont think they all do the same thing...there are definitely two camps when it comes to choosing a daw...for beats, electronica, i think youd have to go with Live...if I recorded mainly audio Id go with Reaper...a best of both worlds would be Studio One Pro

The others all do similar jobs with strengths and weaknesses but none match Reapers value for money or Lives ability to work with the building blocks of electronic music, Studio One has just about the best workflow out there and a great approach to mastering your projects

Yeah, I thought you might give some words about Ableton Live. I couldn't remember if that was your choice of software for the electronica stuff.

Cool!!

for beats, electronica, i think youd have to go with Live

Why is that? I've heard this a lot and tried it out, didn't really like it at all and couldn't find the advantage for using it. I'll admit most of my instrumental tends towards cinematic stuff, but what does Ableton Live do better that so many people seem to like it for beats and electronica type stuff?

Why is that? I've heard this a lot and tried it out, didn't really like it at all and couldn't find the advantage for using it. I'll admit most of my instrumental tends towards cinematic stuff, but what does Ableton Live do better that so many people seem to like it for beats and electronica type stuff?

just for starters the scene view...

when you make an electronic dance track you generally build from a 16 bar middle section..drums, pad, melody, arp, sub, and bass...these are the blocks that make up the tune along with their variations...in live you use the scene view to audition these blocks...you can mix on the fly by triggering these scenes and record directly...nothing i have tried comes close to this flexibility when it comes to producing dance stuff, ive even used it on traditional instruments

when I record something more ambient i use the normal arrangement view...then its ability to handle clips is again better than what Ive used before..also its warping of audio is something else i haven't found matched..each individual transient can be easily manipulated or sliced, yes others do that to but none with Lives simplicity

finally, for me, the sampler is excellent...add the beat repeater, and simple tools like the auto filter, auto panner, and point and click automation and its the full package

I have Logic 9 as well on my mac and it comes close, and I could produce anything i do on another DAW, it just wouldn't be as intuitive or allow such easy experimentation when it comes to arrangements

Straight forward and to the point with no added bullsh!t. What more could one ask for? ;)

:cool:

I started off with Samplitude and have now moved up to its big brother Sequoia.

Excellent - starts cheap for a bottom range version and Samplitude Pro can be downloaded free as a trial version.

They do special crossgrade prices if you have another system.

Highly recommended.

Thanks for the review...maybe I need to give it another look and more time

it takes a while...I ran sonar for six months and had an ableton Lite version that came with an axiom and I just looked at it puzzled..I just thought Id really give it a go one week...its taken quite a bit of investment, and I understand when some folks, especially people that only record audio, say its overcomplicated...but once you get it, theres nothing like it...i havent tried sequoia or nuendo, but just about everything else, and nothing touches it for what i do, certainly not the "industry standard" pro-tools..i run sonar, logic and Live now

btw sonar is the worst daw Ive tried...an unnecessarily crowded and complicated, dark, Gui and the worst automation envelopes in all the "big" players..i invested six months in it and read power and went through the SWA video tutorials...just to find i hated it...if that was my only choice i dont know if id still be recording now, Im just glad i only paid for the studio version

I've been a Sonar user since Cakewalk Home Studio and Producer versions 4, 5, 7, 8 and now 8.5x.

I've tried Reaper, Cubase Tracktion, and Audition (and others)...

For doing standalone and merged MIDI & Audio projects, none of the others could do what I needed them to...

Sonar kicks ass for me on a daily basis.

:)

I've been a Sonar user since Cakewalk Home Studio and Producer versions 4, 5, 7, 8 and now 8.5x.

I've tried Reaper, Cubase Tracktion, and Audition (and others)...

For doing standalone and merged MIDI & Audio projects, none of the others could do what I needed them to...

Sonar kicks ass for me on a daily basis.

:)

just out of interest what couldnt Cubase do that Sonar could?

i say start small, ala: garageband.

from there you can move up to logic... or onto something else if you want to try one of the other software packages.

either way: garageband is very simple and gets your feet wet without being overwhelmed by features.

up to you, but that's my 'adivice'.

s

- Ableton Live
- Cubase
- Cakewalk
- Protools
etc etc etc .

Thanks!

Reaper. No doubt about it. So versatile. Working with midi is a breeze using split, glue and free item positioning etc etc.

Download the demo and also download the Native Instruments FREE pack Komplete 7 Players. Reaper's auto mapping feature is really intuitive. You will appreciate the simplicity and depth of the automation.

Reaper is a very smart app. With the money you save you can buy some decent softsynths or amp simulators.

Heck if you dont like the appearance of it, then change the skins with user made themes. Here are two I use. Butkus for easy on the eyes and Apollo for a bit of a contrast. You will even find Protools and most other major DAW's have been themed for Reaper.

just out of interest what couldnt Cubase do that Sonar could?

Create a dynamic click track on the fly...

I sometimes have clients who send me a scratch track with no click, and many times with some real screwy breaks.

I could make the click with the other DAWS, but with Sonar, I just create transients using Audio Snap, print those to MIDI, open Step Sequencer and pipe in a sidestick/cowbell/woodblock/etc. and I have a ready-made click that conforms perfectly to the less-than-perfect scratch track in no time. :)

Also had more latency issues with Cubase in sidechaining, external inserts and sending FX to a singers headphones without printing.

Not saying Cubase is a bad DAW (or any of them for that matter) but for my work flow, Sonar has just allowed me to do what I want more gooder than the others ;)

Back