Software when buying second hand interface

TheCockADoodie

Just wondering- If I buy a secondhand interface will I be able to register it for the software or do they set it up so only one person can ever use it? I'm thinking a M-Audio or Focusrite Scarlett.
Thanks

Just download Reaper, and register/pay for it after you decide you want to keep using it. The DAWs that come with interfaces are Limited Editions (either crippled by # of channels or plugins available) to entice you to buy the full version.

Just wondering- If I buy a secondhand interface will I be able to register it for the software or do they set it up so only one person can ever use it? I'm thinking a M-Audio or Focusrite Scarlett.
Thanks

Are you referring the recording software or the drivers for the recording interface? If you mean the recording software, I also recommend Reaper. If you mean the drivers so that your computer recognizes the interface, that stuff is usually available online for free download.

Are you referring the recording software or the drivers for the recording interface? If you mean the recording software, I also recommend Reaper. If you mean the drivers so that your computer recognizes the interface, that stuff is usually available online for free download.
Yeah I was referring to the software. Hey thanks for the replies. I have downloaded Reaper trial version, and i think it stopped working after a few uses.
It's a bit worrying that the software with the interfaces might be crippled by limitted tracks or something. That is pretty bad. I really want a workable software with the interface. I'll have to investigate further.

Yeah I was referring to the software. Hey thanks for the replies. I have downloaded Reaper trial version, and i think it stopped working after a few uses.
It's a bit worrying that the software with the interfaces might be crippled by limitted tracks or something. That is pretty bad. I really want a workable software with the interface. I'll have to investigate further.

Do not worry! Reaper does not stop working! It might nag you to buy ever more frequently but AFAIK it will not stop, but then I bought it some years ago (and hardly ever use it!).

Cannot speak for all the bundled DAWs but I have had experience of Cubase included in a Tascam US 144 (40 quid from a Cash Genn' and the first incumbent had not registered the software.) and it was not "crippled" merely limited on track numbers and features, nothing that would worry a noob starting out.

In any event there are plenty of totally free DAWs around. I like MAGIX Samplitude ProX Silver. Limited to 8 tracks but I find it very easy to use. V good MP3 etc encoder in it. Excellent meters. Others are...

Mixcraft, Studio One.

Dave.

I have downloaded Reaper trial version, and i think it stopped working after a few uses.

You might want to expand on this a bit.

What do you mean you 'think' it stopped working after a few uses?

Reaper doesn't suddenly stop after a few uses. However it might stop if something has messed it up.

Do not worry! Reaper does not stop working! It might nag you to buy ever more frequently but AFAIK it will not stop, but then I bought it some years ago (and hardly ever use it!).

Cannot speak for all the bundled DAWs but I have had experience of Cubase included in a Tascam US 144 (40 quid from a Cash Genn' and the first incumbent had not registered the software.) and it was not "crippled" merely limited on track numbers and features, nothing that would worry a noob starting out.

In any event there are plenty of totally free DAWs around. I like MAGIX Samplitude ProX Silver. Limited to 8 tracks but I find it very easy to use. V good MP3 etc encoder in it. Excellent meters. Others are...

Mixcraft, Studio One.

Dave.

Hey thanks for those. I was just using reaper for it's editting features a few years ago. Maybe it didn't stop working altogether but I remember some sort of limitation that stopped me from wanting to use the trial version. I switched to Audacity which I found works well for basic editting. I really don't mind paying a reasonable fee for for good software so many seem to charge a huge amount though.
I've been using an old BOSS BR-1600 for the past few years at home and on a few small recording projects outside, and while it's features are great and it does a great job, it is the slowness which has eventually got me. It is really made for the days where CD's were the main currency.
So yes I am a bit of a noob re: interfaces etc. But I can use Logic, and those sorts of things fairly well.

So yeah, I'm hoping interface direct to computer will be way quicker. For instance to get material to the computer from the BR1600, I have to bounce the recorded tracks in real time onto one stereo track, then burn it to CD, then rip the CD to the computer. Connecting direct to a computer takes even longer. So a half hour recording can take about an hour to get to computer.

Last edited:
Err? DON'T want to put you off getting an AI but...
According to this..Boss BR1600CD
you can transfer audio and MIDI tracks to a PC (or mac) via USB. I say still get an interface because the BR will not do all the things even a modest AI will.

With that last in mind yes, second hand AIs can be a bargain. I have in the past had a Tascam 122 and 144, an Alesis i02 (but they are so cheap might as well get a new one!) and best of all, a Focusrite 8i6 for £100. The latter came without the vital 12volt 1amp wall rat supply but if you see similar use that as a bargaining tool to beat down the price. I had several at home and it does not seem at all fussy what you use.

Considering the BR's facilities I would look for an AI with MIDI and S/PDIF . Other contenders...M-A Fast track Pro and the Native Instruments KA6 although they tend to be keepers!

Dave.

Err? DON'T want to put you off getting an AI but...
According to this..Boss BR1600CD
you can transfer audio and MIDI tracks to a PC (or mac) via USB. I say still get an interface because the BR will not do all the things even a modest AI will.

With that last in mind yes, second hand AIs can be a bargain. I have in the past had a Tascam 122 and 144, an Alesis i02 (but they are so cheap might as well get a new one!) and best of all, a Focusrite 8i6 for £100. The latter came without the vital 12volt 1amp wall rat supply but if you see similar use that as a bargaining tool to beat down the price. I had several at home and it does not seem at all fussy what you use.

Considering the BR's facilities I would look for an AI with MIDI and S/PDIF . Other contenders...M-A Fast track Pro and the Native Instruments KA6 although they tend to be keepers!

Dave.

Thanks Dave, yes it has USB but it is USB 1.1 which is 12 Mbits/s among other limitations compared with USB 2.0 which is 480 Mbits/s. I tried out the USB 1.1 option a few years back and it was so slow it was practically useless, we're talking hours and hours to transfer a few tracks to the computer type thing!
For basic recording I'd like to be able to use 8 mics so I'm assuming that means 8 preamps needed. I'd like at least two mic inputs wth phantom power for condensors and the other 6 can just be for dynamic mics. but it seems to me as far as mic inputs go with the AI's they always have preamps? Maybe I'm on the wrong track there? I'd actually prefer one with say 4 XLR inputs with Phantom availble and 4 TRS inputs, however I can't find anything that seems to have that. It's all XLR's as far as I can see.

Thanks Dave, yes it has USB but it is USB 1.1 which is 12 Mbits/s among other limitations compared with USB 2.0 which is 480 Mbits/s. I tried out the USB 1.1 option a few years back and it was so slow it was practically useless, we're talking hours and hours to transfer a few tracks to the computer type thing!
For basic recording I'd like to be able to use 8 mics so I'm assuming that means 8 preamps needed. I'd like at least two mic inputs wth phantom power for condensors and the other 6 can just be for dynamic mics. but it seems to me as far as mic inputs go with the AI's they always have preamps? Maybe I'm on the wrong track there? I'd actually prefer one with say 4 XLR inputs with Phantom availble and 4 TRS inputs, however I can't find anything that seems to have that. It's all XLR's as far as I can see.

Something wrong there mate! Even USB 1.1 should transfer music files in a few minutes. The Fast Track pro was 1.1 but that could run two channels at 24bits 44.1kHz and send it back to the PC (with lower latency than some new stuff!) AND run MIDI to boot!

Re multi input AIs? The best game in town was the Tascam US 1800 . XLR/TRS? You CAN get adaptors but don't just buy or make the appropriate cables.

Dave.

With my old Boss BR600, you first had to convert the tracks from Boss format to WAV in the machine, then send them out on USB one at a time, so it was time consuming if there were a lot of tracks. I think Boss had released software to do mass conversion in the computer after transferring them in Boss format, but I never got that to work right.

IANaLB... Right of first sale says that any software that comes with something you purchased is transferable. However, software companies hate that idea, so the original owner probably accepted a ToS saying that he didn't "own" the software and was only licensing it.

Reaper's good tho.

The Reaper trial version is fully functional, not crippled in any way. After the trial expires (30 or 60 days, can't remember) it'll give you a 5-second nag screen asking you to register it, but it'll continue to work.

For an 8-mic setup, the favorite around here has been the Tascam US-1800. I believe that it's now discontinued, but Tascam updated that product line with newer offerings. I just can't remember what the current production equivalent is for the US-1800. 8 mic preamps with combo jacks, plus several line inputs/outputs. It's a good unit.

Well I ended getting a good price on a brand new Focusrite, however, additionally Focusrite support were very helpful explaining to me that "yes" with used units the second owner can access the software provided, they have the bundle code and the former owner deletes their account.

Cheers!

With my old Boss BR600, you first had to convert the tracks from Boss format to WAV in the machine, then send them out on USB one at a time, so it was time consuming if there were a lot of tracks. I think Boss had released software to do mass conversion in the computer after transferring them in Boss format, but I never got that to work right.

Yeah- pretty time consuming stuff. Other than that I really like the BR1600 and I've had nothing but praise on the recording quality it produces.

Well..... recieved the Scarlett and...well some people's idea of brand new is different than mine obviously, no product guide or activation codes, hopefully they still have them, I wanted to use the included Ableton package.
Failing that looks like I'm forking out a bit more for Reaper or something like that, I'll check the free ones as well!
Thanks

Well..... recieved the Scarlett and...well some people's idea of brand new is different than mine obviously, no product guide or activation codes, hopefully they still have them, I wanted to use the included Ableton package.
Failing that looks like I'm forking out a bit more for Reaper or something like that, I'll check the free ones as well!
Thanks

You can now download trials of almost all the major recording softwares. Most are the full-fat but some, Cubase e.g. only allow the cut down version unless you also buy a dongle. Not really a problem since even the basic Cubase is very powerful and gives you a very good idea if their MO will suit you.

DO try Samplitude Pro X (mk ll). It handles tracks and clips rather differently to other DAWs and again, could suit YOU Sir! IF you do like it the Silver version is totally free, only 8 tracks at a time but that really is enough to start with.

Ableton and Fruity Loops and a couple of others are of what I call the "cut and shunt" style whereas Samplitude, Cubase, Reaper and most others are clearly derived from a "linear" tape/mixer idea.

Yer pays yer money (well, NOT in this case!) and gives them a go. Mind you! IF you want to buckle down and do some serious work, best to pick one DAW, probably Reaper and pound away at it until you become proficient. If on the other hand you want some fun and enjoy exploring there are enough 30day free trials to keep you interested till 2017!

BTW? If music notation is of interest do look at Forte. Several "grades" try 'em all! Video? Trial Camtasia and Sony Vegas.

Dave.

With Focus Scarlett you can. I have contacted the support from focusrite to confirm this information. They also mentioned that ideallv the previous owner can contact focusrite and request it to be de-registered. but the new owner should still be able to register the unit senaratelv in their name.

Back