Software Synthersizer

RonL

I am using an Audiophile 2496 card with Sonar 2.

Since the card does not have MIDI playback what would be a good Software Synth to buy? I was told the Yamaha XG Player is a good one. Any comments appreciated.

Tdukex,

Ethan Winer's article there assumes that you are using a Creative audiocard. Because RonL has an Audiophile, that article is only of academic use.

RonL,

You could try LiveSynth Pro for SoundFonts, or the rather good VirtualSampler3.

I have written a tutorial on how to use SoundFonts with VS3. Search through the CakeWalk board here on HoRec.

If I was to recommend a soft synth I would go for VS3. Currently it's in Beta2 test release but seems reasonably stable.

www.vsampler3.com

--
BluesMeister

BluesMeister said:
I have written a tutorial on how to use SoundFonts with VS3. Search through the CakeWalk board here on HoRec.
And you will also find it in the Cakewalk FAQ! :)

And Bluesmeister, don't ever underestimate the power of the Cakewalk FAQ! :D

SoundFonts, VS3 seems like too much of a program for me to handle right now, if I want to remain slightly sane. I am a beginner to all this magic :)

What I need to do for now with MIDI is for playback only - as backing track - while I record my guitar in an audio channel. Yamaha SoftSynthesizer seems to give me the playback sound quality I seek.

I have a problem. When I start Sonar a dialog box open to say I need to ‘Choose MIDI Outputs Now…’ or ‘Continue With No MIDI Output’.

When I select MIDI output to Yamaha XG SoftSynthesizer, Sonar plays back MIDI files just fine, BUT now I cannot play Audio files unless I remove the Yamaha XG SoftSynthesizer as the output device.

I had thought Sonar could playback MIDI files and record/playback audio files at the same time. Have I been mistaken? Please help.

Ron, Sonar can handle midi and audio playback; its your soundcard that can't handle it. You either need to get a soundblaster card :-)( )or install a Dxi like Virtual Sound Canvas (preferred route) and then link your midi tracks to an audio track. See recording and playback of Dxi devices in Sonar's help section;)

RonL said:
When I select MIDI output to Yamaha XG SoftSynthesizer, Sonar plays back MIDI files just fine, BUT now I cannot play Audio files unless I remove the Yamaha XG SoftSynthesizer as the output device.
Yeah, I had that softsynth too, years ago. I wouldn't recommend to use it with Sonar at all!

As Paul said, use VSC (you'll find that it's installed with Sonar) or try the Livesynth demo (which also is installed) after you've downloaded some files from www.hammersound.net or www.thesoundsite.net. Remember: The bigger file size, the better quality... ;)

BibleMan said:
Moskus confirming what our wives already knew (but thankfully kept from us), that size DOES matter.
It's no secret. I've known that since I was 11 and it's not a problem for me... :D

Back