Software Question

carter238898

First off, thank you for any help you guys can give.

I've been using Cool Edit Pro for years now and am quite comfortable with all of its features, effects, menus etc. I like its simple interface.

I recently bought a Line6 TonePort UX2 to use as an interfaceamp replacement, but Cool Edit Pro doesn't support the ASIO drivers the the TonePort uses cause it's so old LoL.

I'm thinking of using a different program to record and then import those saved tracks into Cool Edit to add effects and mix/master and what-not.

Questions is this:
What program would be good to do the recording? Need a program that supports the ASIO drivers and is compatible with Vista.

Also, does anyone know of another program that is simple to use that could possibly do both, the recording, multi-tracking and effects?

Thanks so much for your time.

Adobe bought the rights to Cool Edit a few years back. Adobe Audition is updated at fairly regular intervals, but I've not used it and I don't know whether it supports 64 bit systems yet. of all the DAW's, the only one I know for sure supports 64 bits is Sonar 7. And they're all a bit pricey. Sonar 7 goes for about $600. But I actually use Sonar LE on my Vista from time to time. I have an XP/Vista dual boot because I knew some of the drivers would not be available for Vista. Unforntunately M-audio did not update drivers for the early version of ites midi 1x1 interface, so I've just tended to stay on the XP side.
Sorry, back to your original question, I'm sure a lot of the major developers have something you can use. For a freebie, go download Audacity at http://audacity.sourceforge.net. It's a multitrack wave editor and it does support ASIO.
Good Luck!

I've looked at both Audacity and Reaper, but from what I can tell both have had some issues with the TonePort. :( Does anyone have a set-up using a TonePort with Audacity or Reaper?

Also, I'm pretty sure that my computer is running a 32 bit version of Vista so that isn't an issue.

Does anyone have any experience, either good or bad with Guitar Track by Cakewalk?

I downloaded the demo/trial version and it seems pretty good. Cheap too at under $100.

I've looked at both Audacity and Reaper, but from what I can tell both have had some issues with the TonePort. :( Does anyone have a set-up using a TonePort with Audacity or Reaper?

REAPER doens't have any REAPER Specific issues with toneport. I reccomend Toneport GX's to people who need single channel USB I/O, and I carry a Toneport KB37 with me to demo REAPER

The only real issue, is not application specific but a problem inherent in using USB ports for audio.

This is an extremely important, free piece of software if you want to use USB audio: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Take care of any issues it reveals and you will be OK

REAPER will run as well as anything else in Vista, and better than many.

Hit the REAPER chatroom if you need realtime help

REAPER - Help and Chat

You might also want to take a look at Reaper. It's free to try and only $50 for a non-commercial use license.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

1000% reaper.

That you could use it for free until you knew you liked it is enough of a reason to start with it straight away... after that the bundled effects and the routing and the GREAT user community at their forums have made me a 100% convert.

Yeah, man, Reaper is worth checking out. I mean, just download the demo (completely full version, it's an honor system for paying for it) and see if it works for ya.

Plugs are worth the price alone, IMO.

Wow, another carter on the board, welcome. and I also would tell you to try Reaper, nice program, used it a few times but my main is cubase sx.

Back