Software for recording vocals

caskrew

what would be a good software to record vocals on? or can i do that right on FL studios or protools or should i still havea seperate software just for vocals?

Not just the software you have to worry bout, download a free trial of Reaper, and use that. main thing since we know what your recording.

1.) Type of computer you have and its spec's
2.) Do you already have a interface?
3,) Do you have a mic?
4.) You will also need monitors or just headphones if you do not intend to mix your music.

Do you want to record for commercial listeners or just to law down tracks to give to an engineer, would be the solid questions?

right now i just have a an ACER laptop w/4gb ddr3 and a 500gb harddrive. (but am looking to upgrade to a MAC w/1TB HD and 16 GB RAM)
i have an M7 condensor mic and a presonus interface. i have the KRK 8's and wanna do all the mixing my self. i currently have STUDIO ONE for recording but dont really use it as i dont understand it. i will also be loking into buying a pair of BOSE headphones for the booth and control rm

can u make beats on SONY, ABLETON, CUBASE REAPER, or just on like FL and PROTOOLS ?
and when i lay down vocals what do i want to set my compression @?

and when i lay down vocals what do i want to set my compression @?

"When" - nothing, unless you really know what you're doing.

"After" - depends upon why you're applying compression. Too vague a question. Record something first then ask...

well, like dont u wanna add compression to all ur vocals. isnt compression what keeps the full verse all at one volume or level so some parts of a verse isnt higher or lower then other parts of the verse

Not necessarily - go hunt down the compression vs volume automation thread in here and have a read and you'll have a better idea on the topic.

well, like dont u wanna add compression to all ur vocals. isnt compression what keeps the full verse all at one volume or level so some parts of a verse isnt higher or lower then other parts of the verse

Compression isnt used to control volume your level its used to apply "character" everyone thinks that comp makes things louder in a way to control volume but its not. Comp dont know when the volume or dynamics drop & rise they have no "Look Ahead" technology. Volume automation is the answer to control volume cause u know where parts need to be louder and softer.

What I would do If I were you caskrew before you go spend any money do some research on recording and mixing first and some of the basics concepts.

Back