software and hardware choices...

liamo

Hey all- well finally have the money saved so i guess its time for a wee bit of recording but i'm stuck at the mo as there are so many choices-
my aim is to be able to record good quality cd with 24 tracks max per song and i might want to record 8 tracks at once initialy when putting down the drums.
I have a 2400mhzAmd- 1028mb pc3200 cl2 mem and about 100gig on sata.
i already have mics so i guess they can be counted out of the budget which is about 1000$.
so i've been looing through catalogues and websites and i just don't think i'm able to make an informed buying decision as i still don't quite unddrstand a lot of the digital terms. could any one reccomend what hardware would suit in this case? i'd be looking for something with 8 ins and outs (well 6 would do) and a soundcard to.

aslo outside of the budget (as that is being got by the other musicians involved) is software i'm looking for good recording software that has a veryfriendly user interface and just maybe one could be fooled into thinking they're still using analogue! anyone know of a sytem where you have what looks like a recording system that you plug into your pc and then that controls the software- that would be so sweet! not the pro tools 002 firewire job- its just 2500 for the deadboard alone! looks sweet though!!
cheers
liamo

For what you describe, I'd look for a standalone 16-Track system. Roland and Fostex are two firms that make these, as well as many more.

I would then use the PC end to mix the result. This way you can record 1-16 at a time, and still mix more than 16 inside the PC.

The standalone unit also makes remote recording easier as you can go to them.

Ed

Ed Dixon said:
For what you describe, I'd look for a standalone 16-Track system. Roland and Fostex are two firms that make these, as well as many more.

I would then use the PC end to mix the result. This way you can record 1-16 at a time, and still mix more than 16 inside the PC.

The standalone unit also makes remote recording easier as you can go to them.

Ed

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. Recording on a computer is superior in almost every way. The expandibility and versatility--and just the sheer power of the software applications far out-way any conveniency/portability benefits of a stand alone--which will become obsolete the day you buy it. Get a good soundcard/audio interface like the Delta 1010 http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/delt1010.php

They can be had for about $500 on line.

Then get one of the major audio sequencers (steinberg Cubase, Cakewalk Sonar, etc.). I like Sonar, but Cakewalk Home Studio can be had for around $120.

And don't look back.

i agree with tdukex. The stand alones are nice for somethings but they are seriously a pain in the butt too. If you were recording on location professionally it might be nice to use a standalone, but even that would be questionable.

danny

Each has their own views and preferences. I personally don't like the idea of hauling around a Desktop PC and monitor for recording. I much prefer the idea of a using a standaloine for that, but opinions vary. One can get good results either way.

Last year our church recorded a CD at the church facilities. They hired a local professional recording studio for the work. That group brought in 3 8-Track ADAT units and other mixer/mikes. Recorded all on the ADATs and then took result back to studio for mixdown.

I have recorded some local bands as well. Took the same approach with a small multi-track recorder. Then back to home/PC for mixdown. Worked well for me and them.

Ed

Adats are a different subject though. I think it should be the computer first then a standalone.

Danny

Back