Softeware Synths - Have they come of age?

Jack Hammer

Software synths hve been around for a minute but, hardware still rules the roost, or does it? For those of you that use software synths, tell us a bit about the ones your use, what do you use it for, how does it compare to hardware, what are the advantages/disadvantages to software over hardware and finally, which software synths to you recommend and why?

well, i guess softsynths appeal a lot to non-keyboard heads, like myself who happen to like synth sounds, but can't really play, and/or don't have the cash to sink on a minimoog.
for $70 you can get a native instruments pro 52 that does everything that a prophet does, and you don't have to worry about maintenance, repair or any of that stuff, not even really playing the instrument. you can just program your sequencer and hit play. i know this sounds kind of disregarding towards keyboards, but don't get me wrong, i like synths and keyboards, i just don't know how to play them, and i don't have the money to buy one or pay for tuition. not now at least. it's hard enough for me to dedicate to learning one instrument.
i think hardware is a lot cooler to have, but software is much more cost-effective, and the possibilities are virtually limitless.
my music is not synth or keyboard-driven at all, so i wouldn't want to spend a truckload of cash on synths, that i'll be using for a while when recording, and then forget at home when i hit the road (my band has no keyboard player). so software is the way to go for me. however, i keep hearing of professional musicians who carry a laptop around with a bunch of softsynths installed, that they can play in real time onstage.
the ones i recommend are the native instruments pro 52 (replaced by the pro 53), native instruments b4, jxsynth and steinberg's model E. i have a few others' demos, and i'm still learning how to use this stuff, but i think i'm going to be 'converted' real soon. :)

I love my soft synths - P52, Model-E, B-4, EVP-73, and lots of built-ins and freebies, BUT...

...they're touchy, live performance features are just starting to be offered and are still buggy (per the reviews I've read) and there are platform issues - for example, Model E makes Acid 4 blow up, and doesn't work correctly in there even before the "Acid will close now" message. Plus Cubase built-ins only work in Cubase, despite their supposed VST capabilities.

Absolutely not mature yet. And I think the recent P-53 upgrade shows that what we've got in the way of analog modeling could be way better than it was recently.

I think there are a few more years of improvements coming before we see a slowdown.

I'm using the steinberg's V-stack software as a "virtual rack" on my desktop pc...it can contain up to 16 virtual instruments and has got a lot of effect sends.
I've got Native instrument's B4 and reaktor(excellent!!!) plus rgcaudio's pentagon..
I process the sound with the dx plug-ins of cakewalk's sonar 2.

The sound that I can reach is very, very good....fair better than the one that i can obtain with my "hardware" (alesis qs8 synth and yamaha A4000 sampler)

Plus the Vst-instruments are more, more, more user friendly

take care of the spectrasonic's virtual modules (I've heard Atmosphere and it's excellent...and it have 3 Giga of raw sample!!;-)

Hardware synths still have the advantage when it comes to sound, dependability and control. Softsynths are much cheaper.

It won't be long though. As computers get more powerful, so shall the soft synths. You actually never even need to play an instrument at all nowadays. You can program music with all the little nuances if you want to spend the time on it.

I wish they worked under one interface..

It seems when you get a different plugin your unpacking a brand new pack of nighcrawlers......

If it isnt hard enough to master the sequencing program you have to program these naked preset absent plugins... I wish more were there own programs plus VST and DXI access....

Late.

Back