Soffit Mounting Monitor 2's????

JPickman

Hello Again...

I am running alesis Monitor 2s as my mains (don't ask why I really like the sound of them)...........but I would like to soffit mount them....they are however rear ported and I have had different opinions on the best way to soffit mount these types of speakers

One was close the port by not worrying about it...said it would flatten the speaker more.......sounds kind of funky to me...

another was to leave several inches behind the monitor and build a port in the wall above the monitor....

etc.......

........Any ideas would be awesome...

Thanks a MILLION!!!!

Pick Man

Thanks John,

Do you think using your SAE design would work for these?....it sounded like Barefoot thought it could be done only if it was done right......

Or should I pick up something like some JBL 4410, or 4412 or something along those lines.....what mid-field monitors in your opinion have sounded really good soffit mounted? I would spend up to 500 bucks for a new( or used i guess) set that would work soffit mounted better than the Monitor 2s

Thanks!
Pick Man

John,

If, as is often recommended, a person effectively "treats" the wall area behind their nearfields for absorption, so all that is mainly heard is the sound from the driver and tweeter............what happens in the case of rear ported nearfields, to the sound emanating from the ports?

If this sound is absorbed, doesn't that defeat the use of this style of monitor, and if it doesn't render them "useless", why not mount them "soffit style" in a totally absorbative enclosure?

:cool:

Last edited:
JPickman said:

Or should I pick up something like some JBL 4410, or 4412 or something along those lines

yes... my opinion is that they would open your ears as compared to your Alesis monitors..even thought the jbl's are a dated speaker. I have a pair of 4311's and some Urie 813. To me they are heads above as compared to the "new" crop of speakers in the sub $1000 range. I use that price as they can be found for that and MUCH less nowadays. I wondered if they actually were "dated" and asked around here awhile back, but I have gained my confidence back since then!! However...I'm open to replies from the "experts" on those speakers too. (I'll keep quiet about my auratones and Crown DC300 too)

Now...the jbl LSRs... mmmmmm

I worked with the 4311s and the 4315 that came out later - they soffit mount really well as do the 813s. Worked with the 813s for a few years too - liked them also. Nothing wrong with the DC300 either, prefer the Bryston though. :):) Above 1000 you can do a lot better nowadays though.

cheers
john

Thanks for all the input guys......

I will keep my out out for some JBl's or Urei's.......

Don't think I'm carxy but I am not a big fan of the LSR28....I actually think the LSR25 sounds flatter..... the 28's are a little too tubby on the low end for me.......I do however like the LSR32s...but For my home studio not ready to spend that kind of money...I am looking to soffit mid-fields.....I am running Mackie HR624s for Nearfields....

Thanks All....

Pick Man

Pick Man - I've soffit mounted a lot of different speakers. The only time it didn't work was with a pair of JBLs - model before the LSRs and designed to be free standing or hanging off a wall mounted bracket - it had a huge bass lift to compensate for the free standing that really mucked it up when soffit mounted. Otherwise - it's always improved the speakers response.

cheers
john

Back