So, you want to sign or have signed your band?

Which of the following answers describes your band's or act's situation best?

• We have no contract and need no lawyer to tell us what to do.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • We have no contract but have or will have a lawyer look over any that we get.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • We have a contract that we signed without a lawyer, and are happy with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We have a contract that we signed without a lawyer, and wish we had one before we signed.

• We have a contract, had our lawyer advise us before we signed, and are happy we did.

• We have a contract that we signed without a lawyer, and we didn't need one because we are happy.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Ask my business manager, I just perform and leave the legal stuff to him/her.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SouthSIDE Glen

independentrecording.net
OK, your band has recorded a few songs or an album or two by now that you think sound pretty good. You have maybe put together a demo CD or a full album CD, you have put yourself out there on the web, and maybe sent your CDs out to some labels, A&R guys, or radio stations, trying to get someone's attention and hopefully get a recording contract with a label somewhere.

Now you have received a contract offer or are waiting by your in box and mail box and hoping that offer shows up Any Time Now.

The question I'd like to ask, and get a general feel of the lay of the land here, is, "Do you have a lawyer or knowledgeable/experienced business manager to look over any offers you may receive and advise you before you sign anything?"

This is an anonymous poll, and I strongly recommend it stay that way; i.e. it probably wouldn't be too wise for someone to write a post in public to the rest of the world that they don't have a lawyer and have no intentions of getting one; but anonymously I'd like to see some honest responses to the poll itself, just to see how many folks as a percentage out there have representation versus how many don't.

EDIT: Yes I know that option #6 is basically the same as #3. That is an error. I'll just add the results for #3 and #6 together, as they are basically asking the same thing.

G.

Last edited:
wow, so I'm the only one so far that signed a contract without an attorney and came out happy in the end? Interesting...

Ok, because I am an idiot, I clicked 1 by mistake, I thought I selected 2. I actually want to put number 2.

I think anyone should have a contract looked over by someone that knows what they are talking about. Its a no brainer in any other situation, why should music be any different :)

Back