So why should I switch to Cubase

Gabriel_0

I'm using Sonar 6 PE right now but man, it's a pain in the ass to learn and edit. I'm thinking I should change Hosts so I can do what I do best , and that is just play and record rather than spend the last 2 months reading manuals and getting basicly nowhere.

To begin with, if all you want to do is play and record you can buy a cassette four track for $60. They are the ultimate play and record devices and no manual is needed. If you really want a computer recording program try garage band. It is about as simple as they come. Recording is an art and a science, one that must be learned and practiced to master. No program is just going to fall in your lap and go with out putting forth effort. If you have spent 2 months reading a manual and working with the program and really gotten nowhere then you will probably not get anywhere with any advanced program.

boogle said:
To begin with, if all you want to do is play and record you can buy a cassette four track for $60. They are the ultimate play and record devices and no manual is needed. If you really want a computer recording program try garage band. It is about as simple as they come. Recording is an art and a science, one that must be learned and practiced to master. No program is just going to fall in your lap and go with out putting forth effort. If you have spent 2 months reading a manual and working with the program and really gotten nowhere then you will probably not get anywhere with any advanced program.

Thanks for the helpful advice Boogle ... :rolleyes:

I'm not new at recording just looking for something more user friendly. Anybody else have some more useful/constructive advice than the above like mabe compariing features and ease of use?
eg, Audio Snap in Sonar is really a hit and miss game as well as combining soft synths with audio and putting them in sync. Changing multiple Meters is also a pain the ass that I've been struggling with for a few weeks now.

Last edited:
IMO, Cubase is not really any easier to learn than any other program. For some people (myself included), Cubase seems to make more "sense," but the major programs all have similar features and all have a pretty significant learning curve when you first start out. Since you've already invested a substantial sum of $ in Sonar, I would suggest you take the time to really learn how to use it. Switching to another program probably won't make your life any easier. That said, you might want to check out Reaper, which is only $40, and seems to be very popular. The trial version is fully functional, so you can see if you find it any easier before you buy.

Honestly, boogle was right on several points. If you really have spent that much time with Sonar and still can not do the basics, then none of the other apps will be much different for you. You may seriously want to consider other formats to simplify the process. Like Scrubs said though, look for something that is either very cheap, or stay with Sonar since you already have an investment there.

xstatic said:
Honestly, boogle was right on several points. If you really have spent that much time with Sonar and still can not do the basics, then none of the other apps will be much different for you. You may seriously want to consider other formats to simplify the process. Like Scrubs said though, look for something that is either very cheap, or stay with Sonar since you already have an investment there.

Hi Xt, The basics I have down. In fact I have most of sonar down pretty well. I've already recorded a few tunes with it. My original post was a bit of an exageration. I should know better than to make those assumptions on line. Basically I'm looking for an allternative host to use, that as I said, was more user friendly and intuitive. Just frustration I guess with some of the newer apps like Audio snap to name one in Sonar 6...shrugs. Anyways, I guess Cubase isn't the answer either.

Last edited:
I started on sonar and switched to cubase, i thought it was quite a bit easier to figure out....
when i've recently seen friends projects in sonar it all just looks confusing as hell to me.
but it's probably true, most of that kind of stuff is a matter of opinion.

rockinrocker said:
I started on sonar and switched to cubase, i thought it was quite a bit easier to figure out....
when i've recently seen friends projects in sonar it all just looks confusing as hell to me.
but it's probably true, most of that kind of stuff is a matter of opinion.

This is exactly what I was asking! So can you elaborate just a bit on the diffrences of the 2 hosts? Like you said Sonar is very confusing and time consuming (which I don't have a lot of). Even though I've figured most of it out a lot of it still looks like latin to me.

All I'm asking for is something that's more user friendly and you don't have to shift through a million menus (yes, this is also an exageration...lol) to accomplish something as simple as editing time/meter changes, set tempo to audio etc.

Mabe I'll give Traction 3 Ultimate Bundle a shot. Has a lot of the same features as Sonar, Cubase etc but seems much more intuitive and a lot less time consuming.

For me Cubase was the easiest to learn. Pro Tools is right there as far as ease of use goes though as well. Sonar was OK, Digital Performer was pretty easy, Logic was harder, Samplitude was OK etc... In the end though, my views are also a bit biased because I have by far spent the most time in Cubase as opposed to the other applications. Have you considered getting a book that help to teach you how to more efficiently use Sonar? I was doing pretty well in Cubase, but after reading Cubase SX Power things were much smoother and more efficient for me. I knew how to do a lot or most of what I needed, but many things that I was doing were not being done in the easiest and/or most efficient way.

The real problem is that no one can really tell you which is easiest. What is easiest for me may not be for the next person. A lot of it depends on personal preference, workflow, prior understanding etc... as well as basic recording knowledge. All that being said, I like the Steinberg apps the best, and sadly, I would place Pro Tools next.

Ease of use in programs I have used:

Adobe Audition 2.0>Cubase>Pro Tools>Sonar>Digital Performer

Digital Performer was one of the worst computer programs I've ever used. Sonar is not very intuitive either. If you want something easy try to find an old copy of adobe audition 1.5. The routing is awful for effects and and some other stuff sucks, but it's easy to use. That's the only one that I didn't have to spend a significant period of time reading the manual to use. I think any of them could be very easy if you make it easy by sticking to simple stuff. If you want to do detailed stuff than you're going to have to read the manual and understand how everything functions at a basic level.

I started on Cubase so whenever I try anything else out I find it difficult to use. I am very familiar with Cubase so simple editing is quick and easy for me. Same with most of the mixer features. I tried to use Sonar before. I was able to set up and record tracks easily but when it came to using the eq's, applying VST effects and editing I was finding it hard to get things done and I was quickly discouraged. I'm sure someone who uses Sonar all the time might find the same thing with Cubase.
Most people will tell you that there is no difference in sound and that it's all about work flow.

Cubase has a steeper learing curve than Sonar. I've been a Sonar user for 4 years and a Cubase user for just over 1 year.

Cubase seems to have better VST support - Sonar, as much as they claim otherwise, still does not work flawlessly with VST plugins.

I like Sonar's copy protection scheme better than Cubase. You have to use a Syncrosoft USB dongle with Cubase. They are a true PAIN IN THE ASS!!! If you loose your key, you are SOL and need to re-purchase your software.

All in all I like the feel of Cubase, but Sonar is quickly catching up with version 6.

You might want to peruse the Cubase forum on the Steinberg website. The mods run the place like tyrants and the assumption is that its the user's fault to begin with. People are also not happy with Cubase 4 - they dropped a lot of features without really telling users they did it (Direct X support) and left Cubase 3 users out to dry by cancelling a long awaited and promised final bug fix/update.

The Sonar forums on the Cakewalk website are much friendlier.

Personally, I would not say that Cubase has a steeper learning curve than Sonar. I think a lot of that has to do with previous experience and workflow techniques. For me, Cubase was very easy to learn because it was set up in a similar fashion to standard analog setups. Things just seemed more logically laid out for people with experience with outboard setups. I have heard many people claim that Sonar was easier, and many claim that Cubase was. In either event, I still feel like doing a little reading would most likely greatly improve any users experience, workflow and efficiency.

In the end, Cubase should have the best VST support since VST is a Steinberg designed format:) As far as I know, the most recent versions of Cubase and Nuendo are the only apps that support the new vst format at this time. Then again, I would also imagine there are not that many of them available yet either;)

Back