So, who has tried the behringer rip-off stompboxes???

scrubs

Not of sound mind
I'm not really a stompbox guy, since I mostly play acoustic. I own a Blues Driver and a Wah pedal, and that's about it. However, I've got a bug to get some more pedals and, intellectual property concerns aside, I was wondering if anyone had tried the Behri knock-offs of famous stomps? I'm particularly interested in the TO800 (Tube Screamer copy), the VD1 (Big Muff copy), and VP1 (Small Stone copy). Yeah, I know I should just buy the real things, but like I said, I don't play electric much and just want some cheap toys to play with. Whatta ya think? :)

Oh, if anyone has sound samples, that would be cool, too.

Thanks.

scrubs said:
I'm not really a stompbox guy, since I mostly play acoustic. I own a Blues Driver and a Wah pedal, and that's about it. However, I've got a bug to get some more pedals and, intellectual property concerns aside, I was wondering if anyone had tried the Behri knock-offs of famous stomps? I'm particularly interested in the TO800 (Tube Screamer copy), the VD1 (Big Muff copy), and VP1 (Small Stone copy). Yeah, I know I should just buy the real things, but like I said, I don't play electric much and just want some cheap toys to play with. Whatta ya think? :)

Thanks.
I think you should go down to the store and do a side-by-side and let your ears tell you! ;)

scrubs said:

Thanks.

The Tube Screamer copy is shockingly good. I have a couple of much higher ticket distortion/od stompboxes, that this thing blows away. Terrible build quality-- when you put the battery in the part of the pedal that use step on or press to switch it on pops off. It seems like it will break at some point-- the whole thing is made of plastic. This combined with a valve junior even at low volumes (with my Hamer USA studio archtop w/ Joe Barden humbuckers) gives awesome tone. I got my TO800 for like $30!
If I can I'll post some clips this weekend, but I'm going away on a business trip, so I might not get to it until I get back. Also I have a Weber MicroMass that I want to use with this setup, so I might wait until then as well (that valve jr. is real loud!)

Rokket said:
I think you should go down to the store and do a side-by-side and let your ears tell you! ;)

I'd love to, but no one carries these things ;) . I'm guessing Boss or someone is trying to limit access. GC/MF don't carry them, I don't think, nor do any of my local music stores.

scrubs said:
I'd love to, but no one carries these things ;) . I'm guessing Boss or someone is trying to limit access. GC/MF don't carry them, I don't think, nor do any of my local music stores.

Yeah, I got my TO800 off of ebay. Music123 carries some of these pedals though-- oddly enough, all but the TO800 I think. They also have the Behringer Sansamp guitar and bass knockoffs.

scrubs said:
Yeah, I thought of that after I posted... :o

I think it's probably due to the rep that Behringer has of producing stuff everyone else does, but doing it cheaper. I think kojdogg hit it on the head with the build quality. I know they probably sound pretty good, but will fall apart on you if they are all plastic.
I know I don't like their mixers...

Rokket said:
Yeah, I thought of that after I posted... :o

I think it's probably due to the rep that Behringer has of producing stuff everyone else does, but doing it cheaper. I think kojdogg hit it on the head with the build quality. I know they probably sound pretty good, but will fall apart on you if they are all plastic.
I know I don't like their mixers...

Yeah, Behringer has actually had a fair amount of legal action against them, which is partially why (other part is cheap labor) they moved to China-- to take shelter in China's less stringent copyright/intellectual property laws/standards = cheapass gear.
Personally, I think they did a good job with this TO800. If (when) it breaks I'll get another one, unless I'm feeling slutty enough to get the genuine article (that will probably mean I've bought at least 2 of every mic produced first though)

kojdogg said:
Yeah, I got my TO800 off of ebay. Music123 carries some of these pedals though-- oddly enough, all but the TO800 I think. They also have the Behringer Sansamp guitar and bass knockoffs.

I presume you're talking about the "V-Tone" pedals as Sansamp knock-offs, right? I might have to get one of those, too! :D :cool:

scrubs said:
I presume you're talking about the "V-Tone" pedals as Sansamp knock-offs, right? I might have to get one of those, too! :D :cool:
Yeah-- those are the ones. I keep meaning to get a Sansamp Bass DI (I had a GT2 and dug it), but the lure of a $30 Behringer Faux one is strong. :D

kojdogg said:
Yeah-- those are the ones. I keep meaning to get a Sansamp Bass DI (I had a GT2 and dug it), but the lure of a $30 Behringer Faux one is strong. :D
I have the Bass Driver DI. I won't part with it!

I have the "Big muff" knock of and the "small stone" Knock off in the store that I work at, I`ve tried them both.
And they really sound like the price, sure they change your sound, in a dramtical way.
The knobs needs lots of turnig before noticable effect changes.

I`d say stay away from it, unless you want to experiment- "But keep it inndoors allright ;) :D :D

Most of my good pedals seem to have ended up in my son's rig over the years so I bought a Behri Tremolo to try out and it's definitely a keeper for the $$.................planning on trying their delay pedal next.

:cool:

They sound decent but the cheapness comes through in the build. Crappy nobs and construction. Dont think it'd be a good durable gigging pedal but maybe for home use

kojdogg said:
The Tube Screamer copy is shockingly good. I have a couple of much higher ticket distortion/od stompboxes, that this thing blows away.

You know, you can't hardly avoid tripping over a Tube Screamer schematic on a DIY site. It isn't the greatest feat of reverse engineering ever :rolleyes:

mshilarious said:
You know, you can't hardly avoid tripping over a Tube Screamer schematic on a DIY site. It isn't the greatest feat of reverse engineering ever :rolleyes:

Yeah its not the fact that they're being replicated, its the fact they're being replicated for a fifth of the boutique price. I wonder would Keeley Mod my knock off tubescreamer? :rolleyes:

mshilarious said:
not billing it as such, but for <$30, i'm happy with it. i'm in the "don't hate, appreciate" camp on this one :D

Saw this disclaimer on the Behringer site in the description of all these pedals:

Behringer.com said:
* Products mentioned herein are exclusively BEHRINGER products and are not in any way associated with and have not been approved, licensed, sponsored, endorsed, designed or manufactured (or anything else for that matter!) by anyone other than BEHRINGER. All Trademarks mentioned belong to their respective owners and are not affiliated with BEHRINGER.

Ha! Uli must have trouble sitting down with such ginormous balls. :rolleyes:

scrubs said:
Saw this disclaimer on the Behringer site in the description of all these pedals:

Ha! Uli must have trouble sitting down with such ginormous balls. :rolleyes:

Yeah well, I think that since he moved all of his operations to China he's been even more brazen. :rolleyes: :D

You know, Behri actually does make some decent stuff but buying it makes you feel like you just slept with a really cheap hooker. Very dissatisfying, and leaves you a little dirty feeling, yet you still get off in the end.

Everything I have that's Behringer actually performs pretty well. Yeah ..... you don't want to drop any of them .... they're built very lightweight. But if you're the kind of guy that takes good care of your stuff ..... then it's decent cheap stuff.

As for the reverse engineering thing ...... I don't really care about that. Everyone does it ....... Behringer copied Mackie? ..... who cares ...... Mackie didn't invent the mixer and though I wasn't there, I have no doubt that much of the mackie designs are based on others' stuff also. Mixers are kind of a standard sort of thing and Mackie not only didn't invent them .... but they haven't done anything for me so what do I care. And copies of old pedals that aren't really made anymore (The current Tubescreamer and the Electro Harmonix stuff is all just reissues by whatever company bought the rights to the name) doesn't really bother me either.
I want to spend the least I have to.
Last comment ..... a plastic pedal better be handled very gently or it'll be dead quick.
Hell, my Boss pedals which are well built take such a beating I don't know if they can survive.
:D

Back