So which instrument do you record first?

I second the live notion. All the instrumentals including solos live. We do punch in when we have to however. Amps go in a closet and bass is DI so everything is pretty isolated.
Next guitar doubles get done. Followed by any percussion if it is needed. Then lead vocals. The second best take becomes the double if needed. And then any hand percussion if necessary.

normaly i start with drums + bass over DI. so i got the rythm of the track, cause mannyguitarists got problem with the tempo when they dont hera the drums or the bass.
i work without click, because it sometimes kills the feeling, the flow or however you want to call it : D

but i also did rough-cerordings to. whole band playing together which i record with room mics + center mic.

but in my opinion the best way would be recording the whole band together. but for this u need the right room. /=

1. Build my DRUM Program-Triton Extreme Keyboard
2. Main Rythm Instrument
3. BASS
4. Secondary Rythm Instrument
5. Lead Vocals
6. Fillers, Pads, Strings etc
7. BGV's
8. MIX
9. MASTER

Traditional Multitrack Method

I record mostly real drums in my one-room studio. So I have everyone in earphones and record the drummer, the bassist and one other rhythm instrument. Everyone but the drummer goes in direct. I put the vocalist in the bathroom to isolate him from the main room and the drum mics. I don't care how anybody plays exccept for the drummer. It's all about getting a great drum track because everthing else can be overdubbed. I record everyone playing/singing for reference, but who cares if anyone (other than the drummer) makes a mistake. If I've got a great drum track, then I have a good solid basis for layering all the other stuff. Cheers!

Which goes first?

This is an age old question. But there is no one right answer. But I can tell you why the drums and bass often go first. The drums, bass, and keyboard are the rhythm section of an large ensemble. As a result, they go first. But suppose you are doing a guitar, violin, mandolin trio? Which goes first. Go back to the last statement. The rhythm section goes first. If the guitar is strumming, then it goes first.

Scratch tracks help a band "feel" the song as they play their parts. For the drummer, the vocal in vital because the drummer works around the vocal, opening up the sound for the vocal, filling it out for the Power sections. So it helps to have a vocal scratch track for the drummer. Don't let the vocalist overthink the scratch track. One take and it's over. So here's the order:

1- Scratch track: vocal, guitar or keys, and click.
2- Drums
3- Bass
4- Rhythm instruments
5- Lead instruments (Always track the lead players on 2 tracks and then knock off the lead from the rhythm and the rhythm from the lead so you can control them separately.)
6- Vocals
7- Backing vocals

Good Luck,
Rod Norman

I'm sure a lot of us are mutli-instrumentalists or at least like to think we are :p

So my question to all of you is which instrument do you track first? Do you do a a sort of a scratch track, record/program a drum track and then record the "real" parts playing along with the drums?

Or how bout the bass first? Vocals? Play all instrument simultaneously?

I'm just trying to figure out which instrument to do first so everything... grooves and melds together nicely. But I suppose it also depends on the arrangement of the tune as well.

Thoughts?

I do a scratch track first (drums, bass, guitar, vocals if it is a band) just drums if me alone, then bass, guitars etc.

Well, this is for composing, as opposed to simply recording, but:

Piano scratch track.
Then bass.
Then percussion (though sometimes percussion before bass -- depends on the song).
Then vocal scratch track (using male and female "ahs")
Then primary melody tracks to replace piano (different from vocal tracks)
Then counterpoint melody tracks.
Then ornamentals, accents, etc.
Then real vocals.

It's not a rigid list, though, and I'll frequently go back and re-do earlier tracks as the song evolves.

The instrument that supports the vocals is the first thing to go down along with the vocal track. So even if its steam organ, if its structure is the structure the vocal line is written to, thats what gets the party moving.

I track in four phases:

• "Scratch" - Record just enough scratch tracks to get all the timing right.
  • "Foundation" - Record a solid rhythmic foundation (drums, bass, rhythm instruments).
  • "Leads" - Mute the scratch tracks, and then record the "focal point" parts (vocals and lead instruments).
  • "Sweeteners" - Record the accents and other extras to fill out the arrangement.

Each of these phases has a specific set of goals, which I focus on completely while I'm in that phase. I don't move on to the next phase until I've satisfied my goals for the current phase.

In practice, this usually leads to the following sequence:

1. Click track.
  2. Scratch vocal + simple rhythm (guitar/piano).
  3. Drums.
  4. Bass.
  5. Rhythm guitar(s).
  6. Any other rhythm or pad instruments (e.g., keys, strings, horns)
  7. Forward vocals.
  8. Any other leads (e.g., guitar lead, harmonica solo, piano figures).
  9. Backing vocals.
  10. Accents.

This is the way I roll. Sometimes the first 3 get done at the same time though.

Ill always start with a scratch track with the aid of a click. Then record the drums still keeping the click on just as added measure to keep time. After that ill go back and re-record the rhythm guitar, after thats done ill record the bass. Then ill record the lead guitar, and then finally vocals, and backing vocals if needed. I've found recording a scratch guitar first is just more helpful, unless your sure of the song and know exactly what to play on drums at the right time.

Depends on the style/feel of the project. If it's more of a live band with extended jam sections I like to record the whole band at the same time with the goal of keeping the drum tracks. A lot of times in that situation I end up getting great bass performances as well. If it's a more modern Rock or Metal production then I'll get some scratch guitars and then record the drums and edit the crap out of em. Pop productions usually end up being nothing but MIDI and vocal tracks.

One thought...don't feel the need to be constrained by reality.

No, I'm not suggesting you smoke what Moresound does but sometimes it can be worth recording something to specifically be your "first track".

For example, it can be worth using a keyboard or whatever to record the full vocal line. Once this is done, you can use this as a guide for time and pitch--but then just not use this guide track in the actual mix.

FYI, I got this idea doing playback at rehearsals for musical theatre--a good way for the cast to learn the show before they get to the real orchestration.

I record drums first because it takes the most mikes and set up. A guitar track can be recorded here there or anywhere, and in short amounts of time. You can't ever record drums quickly unless you have mikes that you leave up. So, if the drummer needs it, i provide a reference guitar or bass track, with vocals if necessary. however i track the scratch like I would track the real thing. Sometimes the guitarist/bassist is relaxed and gets a great take on the scratch.

Also, minor imperfections in a drum track can be masked when the other instruments are recorded over it. However, it may be much more difficult for a drummer to meet the human imperfections of a guitarist (punching in is a bit more difficult on drums IMO, and i don't like doing it in case the drummer decides to hit different cymbals during transitions, etc).

As far as the other instruments, i go from rhythmic to melodic. The tracks that will require the most multi-tracking (such as multiple guitar parts) go later.

I'd do bass right after drums because the bass and the kick drum need to LOCK UP. that is essential in the mix!

My scratch tracks are the messiest, most out of tune pieces of crap you'll ever hear, full of bad punch-ins, etc.....It insprires me to replace them with real tracks as quick as possible. :D

This! Too often have I done 'decent' sounding scratch tracks that I then get too attached to (or too lazy) to replace as the mix goes on. A friend of mine even suggested just humming the melody instead of real words so you can't get it right...

This! Too often have I done 'decent' sounding scratch tracks that I then get too attached to (or too lazy) to replace as the mix goes on. A friend of mine even suggested just humming the melody instead of real words so you can't get it right...

When I have the tune and I ma trying to get lyrics, I will often not hum but, pronounce like Ba, Ba, Ba, Laaaa Dee, Daaa to get an idea how where my where to start, accents and how the words have to go to the music. I am sure it sounds stupid, but getting lyrics to fit the music is pretty difficult for me. Plus, when I get an idea how I want the vocals, then this helps drive the lyrics.

I started using click tracks after fighting the concept, but hearing some other HR posted recordings and the timing is tighter,

usually laydown a rhythm guitar/chord structure as numero uno.

I tried the click and lead guitar once, as first track, but it was waaay too difficult ..
(jus kiddin)

Back