So, Tyler Lashbrook stopped by yesterday...

Massive Master

www.massivemastering.com
And lookie what he brung' me...

MASSIVE%20Mastering%202.jpg

After 10 of the longest weeks of waiting I've ever had, the Decade Series D1's are in.

Busy breaking 'em in now...

And lookie what he brung' me...
Damn, he stopped by my place afterwards. I was hoping for some new toys, and all I got was this damn poem. I think that was his way of saying, don't hold your breath :D. He always liked you better :(. I'll bet you he even brought the coffee...

Seriously, though, John - very cool! Gotta hear a report after you get done breaking 'em in. Or I'm just going to have to finally head up 355 and show up at your door...with coffee!...and check 'em out myself ;).
NYMorningstar said:
Cool, now I can start my own website :laughings:
Oh criminey, this made me laugh so hard I almost dumped a load in my britches :o. I usually don't care for animated emoticons, but that one rates four laughings :laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:

:D.

G.

Very nice, I'm jealous.

*I'll" come by with coffee, and bring you two lovely blondes as a distraction, and you and they can go outside while *I* break in your new gear.

Since I'm brining more than coffee, Glen can wait his turn.

;-)

Since I'm brining more than coffee, Glen can wait his turn.
You gotta get here first. I can get to his place in about the same time it would take you to get through baggage check at the airport. Unless the blondes are carry-on, maybe...

:D

G.

John, which finish did you go with?
Cherry (I think it was "something cherry" or "cherry something"). It sits very much in the same family as the floor (which I think was called "cherry oak") and the walls, which are raw sanded cedar (but not the red/pink cedar you see as closet liner). Had the center section done in black oak. And the copper-ish tweeter... Very similar to the setup on the front page of the site.
I would probably just sit and stare at them for a couple of days..occasionally wiping the drool from my chin! :D
It's actually the suckiest part of new speakers... Thankfully, I picked a relatively slow week - A lot of editing, a couple classical projects recorded in the same room with the same gear that I do maybe a dozen projects a year. I can *almost* use a 'preset' for them (actually, I do have a preset for the HVAC noise in that particular room). But when I'm not working on them, I'm running sweeps and warbles and band-passed pink noise and such.

But that's what's speeding things along... Last night before I shut down I put my "burn in" disc in the slot and let a 20Hz tone roll. Feels like a truck idling once you're far away enough to feel it. And this morning, the extension in the lows is pretty apparent. I'm assuming another 100 hours or so before they really start to settle in.

Cherry (I think it was "something cherry" or "cherry something"). It sits very much in the same family as the floor (which I think was called "cherry oak") and the walls, which are raw sanded cedar (but not the red/pink cedar you see as closet liner). Had the center section done in black oak. And the copper-ish tweeter... Very similar to the setup on the front page of the site.
I'll avoid the obvious jokes about breaking (in) the cherry and say that it sounds very stylish all the way around. :)

G.

I'll probably show my ignorance with these comments, but it would seem the two centered LCD monitors would be a negative and the bottom speaks seem to be behind/below your console. Additionally, the speakers seem close together..or at least the picture gives that illusion.

And the biggest sin, I don't see any Auratones in sight anywhere. :p

Truely nice looking setup.

So...what's the "watermark" for?? :laughings::laughings::laughings:

The bottom LCD's: What can I say - I need them. I'd rather not have them there, but they're less "in the way" than they seem...

Lower woofers: (A) They're woofers, so it's not nearly the same deal as it would be with mid drivers. (B) The desk is more or less acoustically transparent (it's a skeleton with gear in it). Sure, the gear is reflecting somewhat - But again, they're woofers. (C) There are more woofers up high. (D) Definitely doesn't 'shoot' like it, but everything is in line-of-sight from the sweet spot (that really should've been "A" now that I think of it - I could've skipped the rest - But I like being thorough). :D

Positioning: They are a little closer in that "typical" - I've just grown fond of that over the last couple decades. Works better in this room also. They also converge at a point far behind me - Haven't measured it out with these yet, but the B&W's converged around 40' behind me. Something else I've just worked better with...

Lack of Auratones: Whenever I put another reference set in, I feel like I'm trying to hit a moving target. I like reference sets when I'm in a different space with unfamiliar cabinets though... Thinking about throwing my old M5's in here... One of these days.

The Watermark: Back in '05-06-07-ish, a one-word search ("Mastering") in Google usually had me in the coveted top slot. In 2006, I spent thousands (and thousands, and thousands) in legal fees getting sites that "stole" my site to take it down. They'd rip the photos, the gear list, sometimes the entire site and change the word "Massive" to ("Whoever the F***"). Easily over a dozen in '06, and easily a dozen more since. One just recently (maybe two months ago?) actually stole my gear list and linked directly to the photos on that page (and I can feel my blood pressure going higher just typing this). He didn't even take the logos off the screens - So he was stealing my bandwidth also. It happens a lot less now (I'm typically somewhere on the first page), but it still happens frequently enough that I need some sort of 'protection' from web-theft.

Long story short (although it's far too late for that now), I hate the freaking watermarks. But it's the only shot I have of keeping my own site my own site.

Today, is a day I feel I have been totally misunderstood in many accounts.

The "auratones" was a joke... (see my goofy face emoticon?)

the "watermark" comment was followed by THREE laughing idiot emoticans.
I knew the story... you'd have to live under a rock to not know that junk (see my 2000 join date?)

See my "Truely nice looking setup" statement?

I mean it too. Very nice. But asking questions I wondered about with the woofies and then sticking you in the ribs with the watermark/auratone comments!! ;)

However, I will say, it would be a waste of time for me to "sit in" on one of your sessions, unless I am answering questions (like.."what's for lunch"), as I wouldn't have the faintest idea how things are "supposed" to sound in that room... if you catch my drift. You're comfortable, but I suppose a "newcomer" might need some adjustment time.

Oops... I'm sorry. :drunk:

If it makes you feel any better, I used to attend most of the mastering sessions for my mixing clients. Felt the same way. I was in a non-usual space with non-usual monitoring in the most boring phase of the entire recording process* wishing I was almost anywhere else.

And that's why usually suggest "semi-attended" sessions -- I try to get the files in several days to a week ahead of the session and send out 'test files' whenever I can. The client gets to check them on whatever they're familiar with and by the time they get here, there's usually little to do except for some minor tweaking and authoring the discs. Gets them in and out in a few hours and the "system shock" is minimized.

* (except tracking bass, of course)

Back