So many "studio monitors" out there in the ~$100 (set) price range. Recommendations?

madh0us3

So many "studio monitors" out there in the ~$100 (set) price range. Recommendations?

Yes, I know the ~$100 is not ideal, but this is my price range. I just record for myself, I'm not trying to record commercial music with these. I was in bands for 15 years and now I just want to write and record songs by myself and not have them sound like *total* ass like what I've come up with so far with headphones, my laptop speakers, and my TV's surround sound setup.

So.. I know I'm not going to get a true flat sound from this price range (thus the quote marks around "studio monitors")

ANYWAY. There are so many! What do you suggest?

M-Audio Studiophile AV40 (new version?!) (or AV30)
Alesis M1Active 320
Akai RPM3 Production Monitors
Technical Pro MRS8
Behringer MS16

HELP!!!

Any $100/set monitors won't give you any bass/mid-low response to speak of. When using this type of monitors (and headphones) you need to burn/make copies of your mixes as you progress, then listen to them on every system you can - home stereo, car, friend's home stereo etc.

Honestly, at $100 it won't matter much what you choose...I'd personally just check the reviews on them and take your best shot!

No one has any experience with any of these? I've been through all the reviews and none really stand out to me. M-Audio I've had problems with their stuff in the past (Fast Track audio interface isn't that great). There are a lot of companies I've never heard of and I'll probably avoid them.

That leaves Alesis and Behringer. Just going from gut instinct I'm thinking Alesis.

Has anyone used any of these?

If you've only got $100 to spend and don't want to consider saving up for better options, then to be honest I'd just get a nice pair of headphones like the Sennheiser HD280. Any $100 pair of monitors won't really give you any studio quality. With monitors, you don't really see an improvement until you get to the $300-$400 range, imo. And even then...it's kinda slight :(

No one has any experience with any of these? I've been through all the reviews and none really stand out to me. M-Audio I've had problems with their stuff in the past (Fast Track audio interface isn't that great). There are a lot of companies I've never heard of and I'll probably avoid them.

That leaves Alesis and Behringer. Just going from gut instinct I'm thinking Alesis.

Has anyone used any of these?

I own a pair of AV40s, and even though they're not a million dollars for a pair, I love them. I was in a similar boat as you where i couldn't afford real monitors so I went with these. They're really great actually. The bass boost switch is helpful when you need to see how it might sound with a sub. Don't bother with the AV 30s though! I've heard really horrible things about those.

If you'd like, check out this mix I did with my AV40s. North To Alaska - All The Same by bornofsound on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
This mix was done in my bedroom, with the monitors basically right against the wall (I know, horrible position) but i think i'm getting good results. I use them for every sound that comes out of my computer. Movies, youtube, music of course, mixing, etc, so i've learned how they sound in my environment. IMHO, I feel i can mix on any speaker as long as i know them well enough. You don't need to spend $500 to get going, i don't care what anyone tells you.

For what it's worth, before I decided it was pointless, when I was setting a mobile work-center for an office space at work I was looking for some nice "desktop speakers" all my research pointed to the AV40's as my best bet.

I ultimately decided on a backpack/laptop/headphone setup :D
Saved me lotta $$$ in the end that I can now use on moresounds lovely SM81s.

In that price range I honestly wouldn't bother.
Just pick up a reasonable set of hifi speakers and an amp to go with them in a second hand/charity store.
Try to get as neutral a sound as possible, but most importantly, get to know them.

Knowing your monitors is much more important than which monitors you have.

Maybe you could spend your $100 on acoustic treatment?

If you've only got $100 to spend and don't want to consider saving up for better options, then to be honest I'd just get a nice pair of headphones like the Sennheiser HD280. Any $100 pair of monitors won't really give you any studio quality. With monitors, you don't really see an improvement until you get to the $300-$400 range, imo. And even then...it's kinda slight :(

Thanks for the info! Honestly, with a house full of wife and kids now, headphones WOULD be easier for me. I really had it in my head that monitors would be better, but maybe at such a low target price, I should rethink that.

So.. the HD280's look very pleasing - far more and better reviews on them than any monitors in that price range that I looked at - question is.. if I could kick in a few extra dollars, do you think Audio Technica ATH-M50's be better?

Steenamaroo's nailed it,
"Knowing your monitors is much more important than which monitors you have."

At this level, your best bet is to take your mixed to other playback systems and speakers. iPod earphones, the car, your friends' hi-end hifi/surround setup with a sub etc.

Soon enough, by referencing where the differences are, you'll understand how you should be mixing to compensate for your current speakers' express frequencies differently...

Don't forget about second-hand options to reach up for better gear that might otherwise be out of reach!

I own a pair of AV40s,
I use them for every sound that comes out of my computer. Movies, youtube, music of course, mixing, etc, so i've learned how they sound in my environment. IMHO, I feel i can mix on any speaker as long as i know them well enough. You don't need to spend $500 to get going, i don't care what anyone tells you.

This +1,000,000.

If people dropped some serious hours instead of coin into their music they would hear the improvements at a much higher rate of return.

These cheapo monitors are still of a better standard than some higher priced monitors of 10+ years ago.

I bet there are plenty of $10k plus bedroom studios out there outputting crappy music and or mixes because the owner spends more time upgrading the instruments and gear than practising the craft.

Make a decision and then spend some time both critically and casually listening to all the music you can. :)

In that price range I honestly wouldn't bother.
Just pick up a reasonable set of hifi speakers and an amp to go with them in a second hand/charity store.
Try to get as neutral a sound as possible, but most importantly, get to know them.

Knowing your monitors is much more important than which monitors you have.

Maybe you could spend your $100 on acoustic treatment?

I would actually go the $100 monitors, reason being, the availability of like for like replacement in the event of fire, theft, etc etc.

I bet there are plenty of $10k plus bedroom studios out there outputting crappy music and or mixes because the owner spends more time upgrading the instruments and gear than practising the craft.

COME AT ME BRO! :cursing:

jk :D

April Fools.

I know that this thread is old. I also know that there are a lot of these questions floating around out there. I have experience with the AV-40's, Akai RPM 3's, and the Technical Pro MRS 8's. Here's my thoughts.

Disclaimer - start everything I'm saying with "for the price..."

Akai RPM 3's – These will give you a pretty decent representation from about 85/90 on up. That’s not surprising since the frequency range is 85 – 20k. So basically, you’ll have a decent mix except that you’ll have no idea what’s happening below that point. You can guess that sonically, what you are seeing on the screen is what’s going to come out of the speakers but more than likely you’ll be checking that on other speakers every time.

The bad - What you are hearing can be a bit muddy and isn’t totally flat. It’s nothing you can’t work with, but it is what it is.

The redeeming factor – works as a usb interface as well.

AV-40 – I think the woofer is about an inch bigger than the Akai’s (if I remember right). I’m pretty sure the range is the same though. These are a bit clearer from about 85 – 1k, probably because of the woofer size. These are a bit flatter.

The bad – Again, you won’t know exactly what’s happening in the low frequencies. Most likely you’ll be remixing after hearing it on another speaker every time.

The Redeeming factor – Not as muddy, a bit clearer. Also these come with a lot of recommendations. A lot of people use them which means you’re hearing what they are/ how they are. That can make tutorials and forum advice from other users easier to hear/understand.

Technical Pro MRS 8’s – Clarity is on par with the AV-40’s. The range is bigger though. These have a 8” woofer/3” tweeter and are rated down to 45hz. So, you’ll know what your lows are doing at least. The response still isn’t flat but can be made pretty darn workable with a little tweaking on the treble and bass knobs.

The Bad – Kind of cheaply made (don’t drop or knock ‘um) and a bit under powered it seems.

The redeeming factor – the wider range made these more useful for me. I think the newer ones come with USB inputs on them too… but don’t hold me to that.

No matter how many reviews or forums you read, the bottom line is this - For under $200 there is a a lot of generic stuff out there. Some is better than others, a lot is better than basic computer speakers but most is a colored, muddy, and cheap. Once you learn what professional music sounds like coming through the speakers - you can probably get a ballpark idea of what you should be doing with your mix. Ultimately though, if you can, save up and get something in the $400 and up range. Because realistically, that’s what it costs to get a great representation of your recording. Money doesn’t always equal better but that’s the minimum you'll spend in this case.

Hope that Helps. Kind regards.

Back