So... Is Reaper Free?

JG96

I use logic on my iMac but i want to do some live recordings using my sony laptop. Can I download reaper for free?

Yes, you can download it for free and try it out.

If you decide to keep it after 30 days, you should pay the $60 bucks. It's on the honor system.

It's totally worth it the $60 though. Cheap in fact for what you get.

...and purely because Reaper IS on an honour system, I strongly encourage everyone who wants to keep using it after the trial period to pay the $60. That's a lot less than any comparable DAW and I believe that we should be fair to them because they are so fair to users (and potential users).

...and purely because Reaper IS on an honour system, I strongly encourage everyone who wants to keep using it after the trial period to pay the $60. That's a lot less than any comparable DAW and I believe that we should be fair to them because they are so fair to users (and potential users).

Absolutely! Same with the Stillwell products. Very cool that they let you try them fully functional for free. Pay when you decide you like. Wish more software companies were like this. I have to change my credit card number to get rid of XBOX Live. Bastards won't stop charging me!!!

Yes, you can download it for free and try it out.

If you decide to keep it after 30 days, you should pay the $60 bucks. It's on the honor system.

It's totally worth it the $60 though. Cheap in fact for what you get.

+1

Paj
8^)

Yup to this thread.

I downloaded Reaper back when it was 3.1 I think? I can't honestly remember. It was several years ago.

It was $40 back then, also. I won't lie; I used it for more than 30 days, but I did buy the private license for it, because it honestly IS awesome software for that price. Now it's in 4.22, and it's better than ever. If it's $60 now, then it's still definitely worth it. I've recorded and mixed a LOT of material with Reaper, including the 5-track demo and a full-length album for my solo project. Both products came out very well, I'm proud to say.

If you're thinking about using it past the trial, it would be well worth paying for. Cockos deserves every penny for the work and R&D they put into the DAW.

And the fact that they don't inhibit the software in any way after the trial period, speaks volumes for Cockos, in my opinion.

I started using Reaper last year. I downloaded the "trial" and completed a project using the software. I was able to work with it, it was more powerful than the ProAudio 9.3 I was using and indeed I liked it so I paid for it. It was that simple. Their business model may be a bit hippy to some folk but it appeals to me. It is REALLY a case of the consumer having control & therefor the marketplace setting the level. The reliance on honesty and integrity is optimistic - but I like that too.

Absolutely! Same with the Stillwell products. Very cool that they let you try them fully functional for free.

+1 on this. The Stillwell plugins are just awesome and dirt cheap. Am i right in thinking Reaper already has some of the Stillwell plugins included with stripped down GUI?

Nearly 40 :-) JS:SStillwell plugs included in my Reaper 3.75?

Edit: they are the JS plugs.
I found that Stillwell plugins are discounted for Reapers license holders.

Last edited:
Those unwilling to pay for their software should not complain when they find people are unwilling to pay for their music...

Hi there.

I’m a Mixcraft user. But I must confess that I'm really tempted to move to the Reaper.
I am a beginner and I've been researching some things about recording and production, reading a lot, seeing a lot of videos etc.
I tried a little of Cubase 5 Se or LE (it came along with my interface), but really dislike it.
Tried Ardour (Linux DAW) but it appears to difficult to work either.
And I also have Mixcraft 5, for a long time now. I actually bought. A long time ago, but I was very busy at the time, so I’m just really starting to discover MIXCRAFT also.
I can see it's really easy to work with it. Very intuitive and simple.
But it seems to me somehow limited: for example, I do not see how to set the recording level (not to transient in concrete values: -13dB values, for instance – the value that my interface advises), and when I tried Reaper, it seems possible to do this: you just arm the track, and set the wanted record volume (you even see the light peaking – it’s a simple thing, but very important to assure we do not ruin good performances).
But, my main reason to consider to move to REAPER, and I’m sure you will think that’s a really stupid reason: is the wonderful user manual!!!
I mean, it’s not just a REAPER manual, is actually a real manual about recording, mixing, effects, etc..
I have learned a lot reading the Reaper manual.
And since I’m such a beginner, I was thinking: “If I’m going to have a “learning curve” in this DAW world (recording, producing, mixing, mastering), and if I’m learning so much with REAPER manual, why not to move to REAPER also.
Guess that if MIXCRAFT could have a manual like that, I would not consider moving. Cause, you now, sometimes I think we lose a lot the perspective of what we’re supposed to do: CREATE MUSIC!!!

So… what do you think?!
:)

Back