...so is anything going to sound as good as...

Check Soundeluxe or Lawson mics. More performance for half the cash of an equivalent Neumann.

Actually, the first company is called "Soundelux" without the ending "e." Just didn't want you to get tripped up if you did a Google search or something.

There are lot of mics that are every bit as good as a $2000 U87. In fact, the newer 87 Ai's don't even sound as good as the older ones. And maybe the 87 isn't even the best mic for a certain application you may have.

Mics to look into:

Soundelux U195
Blue Bluberry
Studio Projects T3
Royer R-121
AKG 414
Audio-Technica 4050
Microtech Gefell M940
ADK TT

All of these mics are under $1200, most are under $1000.

There's certianly more, but that's a start.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

I have been eyeing a Lawson L251 for a long time. One sold on Ebay for around $1800 last year and I have kicked myself every day since then for not jumping at it (brand new they are right at $2500). The Lawson L47MP is supposedly amazing as well and they come in around $2000 brand new.

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger at full price on the 251 is that I have been holding out on my big mic purchase until Stephen Paul's mic is released.

As far as the other mics mentioned I agree, but I would go for the Blue Kiwi over the Blueberry, you can land those under $1500 ocasionally used.

The Brauner "Phantom C" is no slouch... the Gefell UM900 is pretty fucking awesome... there are a myriad of viable options...

Soundelux also has a new mic, the iFet7. It purports to have two mics in one body, the U47 FET and the U87. I think there's a switch to change from one to the other. I haven't heard it personally, but I hear it's good. I think it's about $1700 new.

Back