So I have way too much gear

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
and looking for input as to what to keep and what to sell, because basically it's so overwhelming I spend more time tracking down hum, or re-patching or, ...

Here's the inventory:

M-520 and Teac 5 boards

MSR-16 (and a spare relapped head - 80% per JRF)
Tascam 38 with the DX-4Ds; needs minor repairs and alignment that I can do.
Fostex A8
Fostex 80 (and a parts deck)
Otari MX5050BII and a parts deck.
Teac 22-4
Teac A3300SX

I also have a Creamware A16 with the TDAT card (and a Sonorus card) that I've never hooked up, a Delta 66, and an Audiophile 2496. The latter is buggy on my XP box, I can only record using Cakewalk 9, anything else distorts, but I need the MIDI features.

This doesn't include the plethora of tubes, semiconductors, transformers, and junk box stuff. There's other rack gear, but it's tidy enough and except for two many cheap compressors nothing really redundant.

My thought is to keep the 520 and maybe the Teac 5 too -it's easier to use and has transformer input pres.. the MSR-16 and the Otaris and sell the rest. I had a notion to use the Creamware and build some discrete preamps (with some of that "junk box" stuff) for a remote rig but that isn't all that realistic either. The 38 is probably the best of the bunch sound wise, but I like the convenience of 16 tracks. Or I could keep the 38, and if the Creamware works, stay 8 track analog, and go 16 track digital...

Thoughts? Advice? Therapists to recommend?

Last edited:
Need to read on more detail, but prime question: what tape formats are important to you? What will you/do you actually find you use?

At the start of covid, I had a mass ‘homing’ of all my old equipment that normally lived in clients premises. I had to take on a unit to store them, so I decided I’d get rid of them. Some I’ve had for ever. An A77 went on ebay and made more than I paid for it in 1983. A Ferrograph Super 7 went too. I sold my old STC mics because I didn’t like them or use them. The money helped. I sold all my rack mount processor, mainly compressors and multi effects, but a few other gizmos and they made hardly anything. The remaining rack of toys is even less appealing and I tried giving them away. People didn’t even want to pay for postage and with covid people just didn’t want them. The truth seems to be that younger recording folk are not interested in products unless they need them. Older people like the hardware and that colours our judgement. I have no need for a reel to reel, but I’d still like one. I have no idea why I still look on ebay. If I found a bargain I’d probably buy it. It’s stupid. My kids make the point that my collection will be their problem when I die, and it’s getting closer. My wife sees a pile of junk, one son knows the worth of the gear and knows I paid far more for it than my wife thinks but he works with brand new, often upgraded mixing desks that cost five figures, and doesn’t have any love for it at all.

if you have something that you do not use, sell it now, while dinosaurs like us are still alive. When we’ve gone, it’s land fill!

if you have something that you do not use, sell it now, while dinosaurs like us are still alive. When we’ve gone, it’s land fill!
Baah.

Electric instrumentation is big enough. Was big enough. People will yearn for playing the real thing. A JCM800 with a rack delay that has 6 lines of L R delay. How about the 1176? ADA Preamps by Todd Langner, Egnater, or Lee Jackson will be huge. Neve preamps.

I cannot enjoy a virtual couch. Like put a VR headset and sit in a crappy wood chair, and believe it is comfy and plush.

I do not enjoy the modelers and they are currently a poor substitute for what has passed. I admit they sound great. The immediacy is not there, that direct connection to the sound.

Last edited:
Baah.

Electric instrumentation is big enough. Was big enough. People will yearn for playing the real thing. A JCM800 with a rack delay that has 6 lines of L R delay. How about the 1176? ADA Preamps by Todd Langner, Egnater, or Lee Jackson will be huge. Neve preamps.

I cannot enjoy a virtual couch. Like put a VR headset and sit in a crappy wood chair, and believe it is comfy and plush.

I do not enjoy the modelers and they are currently a poor substitute for what has passed. I admit they sound great. The immediacy is not there, that direct connection to the sound.
I think he’s alluding more to reel to reel machines. I know many people in my generation who want to play the real amp rather than a sim. I don’t know many people in my generation who want to futz around with a reel to reel tape machine. MAYBE a cassette portastudio, but that’s it.

Need to read on more detail, but prime question: what tape formats are important to you? What will you/do you actually find you use?

That's part of the problem. I have the perfect 1/4" or 1/2" 8 track setup, and the perfect 1/2" or digital 16 track setup. The last song I recorded was using the Teac 5 and the A8. But before that it was the Teac 5 and the 38. The thing is, it's still so complicated because I have too many options that it takes more time to repatch/rewire than lay down the tracks, and then the magic is gone, or at least the patience of the other people involved.

Last edited:
I think he’s alluding more to reel to reel machines. I know many people in my generation who want to play the real amp rather than a sim. I don’t know many people in my generation who want to futz around with a reel to reel tape machine. MAYBE a cassette portastudio, but that’s it.

That's it. I've already unloaded too many vintage synths, all of them needed work, but I'm never going to find an MkII Odyssey for $125 again, or a Mono/Poly for $150. I can streamline the number of VCA compressors though, but otherwise, the rack is pretty manageable. Problem is, once I get something like a cheap dbx, I have to pop the hood and mess with it. That can affect marketability.

That said, I think there's still a market, at least for the 38 which is a decent format. The little Fostex seem to have made a small comeback as well.

That's kinda where I'm at with analog. For one, it's like now I can afford it. For two, I'd only wind up using an interface like a tape deck, I can't really get my head around doing everything ITB, although it would certainly save space. And then there'd be an new expense.

At the start of covid, I had a mass ‘homing’ of all my old equipment that normally lived in clients premises. I had to take on a unit to store them, so I decided I’d get rid of them. Some I’ve had for ever. An A77 went on ebay and made more than I paid for it in 1983. A Ferrograph Super 7 went too. I sold my old STC mics because I didn’t like them or use them. The money helped. I sold all my rack mount processor, mainly compressors and multi effects, but a few other gizmos and they made hardly anything. The remaining rack of toys is even less appealing and I tried giving them away. People didn’t even want to pay for postage and with covid people just didn’t want them. The truth seems to be that younger recording folk are not interested in products unless they need them. Older people like the hardware and that colours our judgement. I have no need for a reel to reel, but I’d still like one. I have no idea why I still look on ebay. If I found a bargain I’d probably buy it. It’s stupid. My kids make the point that my collection will be their problem when I die, and it’s getting closer. My wife sees a pile of junk, one son knows the worth of the gear and knows I paid far more for it than my wife thinks but he works with brand new, often upgraded mixing desks that cost five figures, and doesn’t have any love for it at all.

Spot on more than I'd like to admit....

I feel your pain. I just recently went through a big purge of gear, although it was mostly instruments. Ended up selling:
8 electric guitars (and buying 2, leaving me with four total: SG, Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster)
2 analog synths
Analog drum machine
1969 Hammon organ (not a B3, it was a transistor model ... still sounded nice, though)
1 amp
1 tape recorder
other miscellaneous stuff (mics, MIDI controllers, etc.)

Ended up raising $3,500 in total, and it feels really good. I hadn't realized I had so many electric guitars just lying around that I wasn't really ever playing. I still actually have another (albeit smaller) round of things I'm going to sell as well.

Anyway, the point is that I can relate to the notion that too much gear interferes with creativity and/or productivity. I realized that I was spending a lot of time repairing things. I'd just find one pet project and move on to the next. And I wasn't actually using a lot of this gear.

If I were you, I would keep one 16 track deck and one 8 track deck. Just pick your favorite (or maybe the one that's most reliable) and be done with it. Sell the rest. Life's too short to second guess everything, especially when it's preventing you from doing something that brings you joy!

I mean, in the end, it's only gear. If you end up just dying to have something back, you can always (almost) replace it. But in the mean time, kick it to the curb, make some extra cash, and get on with the recording!

Last edited:
I really like a lot of the comments you’re getting...good feedback/thoughts.

I think you’ve got your own answer in one of your own statements...too many options. That is a focal point issue.

Us analog hounds often reference one of the reasons we like working in analog is the limitations...working in 4-track cassette or an open reel 8-track format, for instance, forces us to be thoughtful and creative with how we arrange tracks/takes/overdubs...taking care to get a good performance for the take...more care in instrument setup, mic selection/placement, etc. We cancel this out when we have 5 different options for tracking in analog. And then of course we are exposed to the constant tinkering and repair vs making music...I can really, REALLY relate!! It’s really just a form of self-sabatoge. That’s what I’ve become patently aware of the past few years. It’s not always just one thing...like I’ve got that going on with me, but there’s a meaningful parallel track where I’ve honed in on what equipment I do want to keep permanently (and in my case, as far as the analog side goes, that’s the Studer 928 mixing desk, Ampex MM-1000 1” 8-track/2” 16-track, and 3M M64 halftrack) it’s just that in my case those selections call for a host of surrounding equipment...dozens of rack units of outboard gear. I’ve been selective about what I’ve acquired and why, and vastly limited purchasing train-wreck gear that needs gobs of TLC and repairs...in recent years I’ve chosen to spend a little more for something that’s turnkey. I’ve sold off a lot of stuff in recent years, and in some cases gotten better at letting go of fixing it all up to get the most money out of it. Just get rid of it and move on. My wife has helped with that and it is really really refreshing to have what was another project just *poof* gone with a bit of cash in my pocket...that feeling of being suddenly a bit closer to being able to focus/work on what I know DOES fit the vision...I feel that little spark again. But the big project now is building racks, and accomplishing tons of wiring. What I troll auction sites for now is very limited. My buying has really slowed down because I’ve settled on the system. And I determined the analog console is the absolute hub and so selected a console that can function in that role for the analog side and digital side. Anything that doesn’t fit into that has been or will be sold. And that includes treasures like my Tascam 58 with all the trimmings. I believe when things are up and running, I’ll be doing a lot in the digital realm, but using the DAW like an analog tape machine...that’s what I’ve done in the past. But when I’m tracking to tape I made the decision it was typically going to be 1” 8-track, but having the Ampex setup to run 2” 16-track if desired. That’s it. That’s why I sold the 388, 238, 488, 688, I’ll be selling the 58...I do have a project 244 (actually 3 of them to make one good one), because I have an affinity for sketching things on cassette 4-track, but that’s just kind of for funsies. But it’s one console that fits the vision for what I want to be able to do at the caliber I want, and the Studer fits. And I ponied up and spent some real money on it in part because it WORKS and needed little done to it at all...relatively plug and play. Yes I do have the prototype Tascam “M-__” console around still and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to part with that, but that’s mainly because it’s a complete rarity...one of a kind...I expect it will never be part of the signal flow. Operationally it doesn’t fit in, but we’ve got such history, so that’s a unique outlier.

So for you...can you live with 8-track or do you need 16 tracks? If it was me, out of what you have, I’d be focusing on the 1/2” 8-track. That 38 is the most robust machine out of all of your machines, the easiest to work on and likely most reliable in the long run...easier to find parts for it and user support, and the best sonic potential out of all those tape machines. I’d be letting go of the 1/4” multitrack machines. If you gotta have one I’d be keeping the M80, not the A8. But honestly why have two formats of 8-track? If you have to have the 16-track and you also want 8-track with the better sonic potential then that clinches the 38, because at least that way you only have one width of tape to deal with for multitrack. But, for me personally, if I was in your shoes, I’d be letting go of the 1/4” multitrack machines and the 1/2” 16-track. And as far as mixers, that’s easy...what is the Model 5 doing that the M-520 can’t do? Yeah I know it has the trafo mic inputs but honestly those Tamiya trafos are not remarkable in any way. I think the M-520 is superior sonically, and feature-wise runs circles around the Model 5. I love the Model 5’s build design, but the M-520 can handle with ease a comprehensive DAW setup and an analog multitrack setup...central command. That’s IF you want to use the analog console that way...understand I’m projecting my decisions about the signal flow of my studio on you, but if it was me I’d sell the Model 5 and be done with it, and hang everything in the studio on the M-520 and make some music. I think the M-520 with its feature set and aesthetic is a unique and enjoyable console to use, and I think it sounds nice too.

So theres my 2p.

Try this: dig out some old projects you’ve done or been involved in...I don’t care if it’s sketches you’ve done, complete solo projects, or bands you were in...just pull out some of your old shit you captured when you had little to no gear. I’ve been organizing my music library lately and for the first time gathering together all my sketch ideas or little songs I’ve done over the years...it’s the first time I’ve had together in some organized way projects I’ve been an artist on, projects I’ve engineered, and all my own personal stuff. I’ve used 4 different DAWs over the years and I didn’t realize how much material I have that I haven’t listened too...like altogether FORGOT about because I stopped using and don’t have easy access to the software, and never mixed so many projects. So I’ve been using my current DAW to build stems for these old projects and at least make a rough master so I can listen to this stuff...I was surprised...dozens and dozens of songs. It’s refreshing to realize I’ve actually made some music, and then to realize much of it was done in a pinch with almost no gear. For me it’s motivating to A. focus on the studio build that makes sense, but also B. not be afraid to just throw together a quick and dirty simple means to capture ideas in the meantime...the ultimate setup doesn’t have to be setup or finished or whatever to make and capture ideas and create something. Give yourself permission to create here and there is you work through any gear glut.

Anyway, the point is that I can relate to the notion that too much gear interferes with creativity and/or productivity. I realized that I was spending a lot of time repairing things. I'd just find one pet project and move on to the next. And I wasn't actually using a lot of this gear.

If I were you, I would keep one 16 track deck and one 8 track deck. Just pick your favorite (or maybe the one that's most reliable) and be done with it. Sell the rest. Life's too short to second guess everything, especially when it's preventing you from doing something that brings you joy!

I mean, in the end, it's only gear. If you end up just dying to have something back, you can always (almost) replace it. But in the mean time, kick it to the curb, make some extra cash, and get on with the recording!

Ditto on the too much time with a screwdriver and soldering iron....

I'm leaning toward keeping the MSR-16 and either the two 80s, or the A8, and the two Otaris as mixdown. I figure I can get the most for the Tascam 38. That leaves me with basically the same narrow gauge on the 8 and 16 tracks, but I have plenty of tape.
I really like a lot of the comments you’re getting...good feedback/thoughts.

I think you’ve got your own answer in one of your own statements...too many options. That is a focal point issue.

snip

So for you...can you live with 8-track or do you need 16 tracks? If it was me, out of what you have, I’d be focusing on the 1/2” 8-track. That 38 is the most robust machine out of all of your machines, the easiest to work on and likely most reliable in the long run...easier to find parts for it and user support, and the best sonic potential out of all those tape machines. I’d be letting go of the 1/4” multitrack machines. If you gotta have one I’d be keeping the M80, not the A8. But honestly why have two formats of 8-track? If you have to have the 16-track and you also want 8-track with the better sonic potential then that clinches the 38, because at least that way you only have one width of tape to deal with for multitrack. But, for me personally, if I was in your shoes, I’d be letting go of the 1/4” multitrack machines and the 1/2” 16-track. And as far as mixers, that’s easy...what is the Model 5 doing that the M-520 can’t do? Yeah I know it has the trafo mic inputs but honestly those Tamiya trafos are not remarkable in any way. I think the M-520 is superior sonically, and feature-wise runs circles around the Model 5. I love the Model 5’s build design, but the M-520 can handle with ease a comprehensive DAW setup and an analog multitrack setup...central command. That’s IF you want to use the analog console that way...understand I’m projecting my decisions about the signal flow of my studio on you, but if it was me I’d sell the Model 5 and be done with it, and hang everything in the studio on the M-520 and make some music. I think the M-520 with its feature set and aesthetic is a unique and enjoyable console to use, and I think it sounds nice too.

So theres my 2p.

not be afraid to just throw together a quick and dirty simple means to capture ideas in the meantime...the ultimate setup doesn’t have to be setup or finished or whatever to make and capture ideas and create something. Give yourself permission to create here and there is you work through any gear glut.

I knew you'd recommend keeping the 38! There's a couple of nice features on the MSR-16 though, the auto punch in function is nice and it can be calibrated while in the rack, which I finally got round to doing. I also have tons of 1/4" tape, I got a screamin deal on two cases of 031 a couple of years ago, and two cases of 632 on 3600' reels. In fact I think I bought a 14" reel from you, and use a lazy susan and my Teac to spin down.

I could conceivably hang on to the 22-4 and the 16, but I'm not sure the 22-4 is all that great of a machine overall, and the rewind is a little sticky on it right now. I think part of hte problem is too many projects on the bench too. I have all these neat little half finished projects, like wouldn't it be cool to wire up an Altec 1588, or hack two Shure M68 to make half dozen preamps. or Isn't it cool that I found a McGohan transformer dirt cheap, and then there's that PRR Vari-mu I need to finish, and I just wired up a bitchin 6148 tube overdrive. I think I need to pack all that stuff up and put it in my dad's empty steamer trunk under the stairs, and that can be what I do once I'm retired. Maybe pick three projects to finish, and then call it a day. Yup. that's what I'll do. Bye Bye McGohan and Altec for now! So far one decision made Yay! Progress!

My "quarantine" home office is in the same room all of my gear is set up in and where the storage closets are. My big project was to empty the closets and not put anything back in. Been about 50% successful and a bunch of stuff went to new EBAY and Craigslist homes.
2021 = round 2 and hopefully some of the bigger items..

I'm trying

Back