So I finally bit the bullet!

Barclay

So, after months of agonizing, researching, reading, talking, wishing, and pulling off my best extended Wood Allen routine, I finally bit the bullet and bought a sound card.

I had been thinking of the Event EZBus, but some of the very helpful comments on this thread:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=49042

steered me away from it, at least for now.

So, I picked up the M-Audio Omni Studio that has the Delta-66 PCI card the Omni breakout box. Decent price at $700 Canadian, which is about $4.59 USD. Installation was a breeze into my XP machine, which also has the Audigy MP3 inside. Within minutes I had it up and running. So far so good!

I also picked up the Midiman Oxygen 8 MIDI controller, the Studio Projects C1 mike, POD 2.0, AKG K270S headphones, and a Godin LG electric guitar. I already have Cubase and Reason. So, I am finally ready to do some real recording, I think. Now I won't have time for anything else, even time to eat, which is a good thing because I can no longer afford food :)

BB

you'll like that setup...

I put a studio together a few months ago which included the MidiMan Delta 1010 (omni's older brother), a POD 2.0 and a Studio Projects C3 mic. After a few months of tweaking, I getting some of the best recorded material I've ever done. I've been extremely impressed with the MidiMan hardware - clean & pristine. As far as the Studio Projects stuff goes - well, it's just amazing.

I use the POD quite a bit, but I recently picked up a THD UniValve at a local shop. It sounds so good, I've been recording it with a stereo setup - SM 57 stuck in the speaker cone and the C3 about 8 feet away to pick up the ambient leftovers. Certainly more hassle than the POD, but it provides a very different character.

My favorite application of the C[1|3] is acoustic guitar - this had always been a stumbing block before. Most mics I had tried were far too "boomly" over the sound hole, but the C3 cleans it up nicely and holds the definition. I've been using an AKG 1000C higher up the neck to pick up the highs and create a nice, balanced stereo image.

Have fun with your toys...(eating is way overrated to begin with ;) )

Barclay said:

Decent price at $700 Canadian, which is about $4.59 USD.

Nice exchange rate you have there... :D I know the Canadian dollar is woth less than the US Dollar, but I don't think its that bad!;)

Back