So how much money is fair

Gabriel_0

Probably posting this in the wrong forum but anyways here goes ...

About 7 months ago I started colaborating with another musician. We formed a duo and have just started recording the CD. He had about 8 songs he wanted to record that he wrote long before we met and did a solo CD a while back. His CD was ok, nothing great just ok. When I added my lead to it and experience the quality of the music improved drastically. Now we are using my recording studio for the recording and I'm doing all the mixing producing etc. So here is my question. Today he brought up the money factor. We started talking percentages. He wants 75/25 in his favor since he wrote all the tunes on THIS CD. I'm not sure I agree with this amount. Ok so his music but my talent.

What do you guys think? What percent should I ask for?

personally i say 50/50, or MAYBE....MAYBE 60/40 to him..... because without you, there would be no CD -- at least not a CD that cost him nothing to record, mix, etc. If he didnt have you, he wouldve had to go out and PAY to have it done... and for a cd, it can get pretty expensive... so considering he got it for FREE from you, just bring that up to him. you saved him that $, so if he wants to be a bitch like that, charge his ass!

I say 50/50. Producing and mixing are just as important as writing the material. It also depends on who pays for the CDs to be made, marketing, etc.

BTW, I pay my band mates for their time so I have full ownership and they can't claim anything from sales. It puts all the risk on me, which is what they like.

not really sure, but I would have ironed this out before a single note was played....70-50 seems fair since you did the knob turning.

your lead made the song huh? I wanna hear.....anyways get real....not like you're gonna make any money off the damned thing anyways. ;)

brandrum said:
not really sure, but I would have ironed this out before a single note was played....70-50 seems fair since you did the knob turning.

Actually this was ironed out. We both agreed when we 1st started this project that it would be 50/50 all the way. I would not have spent 7 months on the material otherwise. Personally I think this is his wife's idea. He's really a "honey do" kind of guy. Won't do anything unless he gets her approval. Too bad, he really is quite talented and we did sound REAL good and some very unique originals.

mx_mx said:
Yeah if you already agreed to 50/50 and now he's trying to change it, that's not on

Well I'm not an unreasonable person, since he wrote about 60% of the material I would have agreed to 60/40 on his material, but 75/25 is just nuts. :mad:

Gabriel_0 said:
Well I'm not an unreasonable person, since he wrote about 50% of the material I would have agreed to 60/40 but 75/25 is just nuts. :mad:
Doesn't matter what you WOULD have agreed to, just what you did agree to

Tell him to fuck off if he wants more than 50%. BUT, if you pay for the production and/or the CDs to be made, then you definitely should get more than 50%.

Well thanks for the replies folks. 50/50 seems to be the common ground which is what we agreed upon in the 1st place. I've pretty much told him to find another guitarist to do his original stuff with but I would still continue to do live shows with the guy. We split those down the middle so no biggy. It'll give him something to chew on for the next couple of days ;)

Tell him he gets 100% of the shirt royalty from the tour. Convince him that after you pay the pyrotechnics guy, the lighting guy, the sound guy, the tour bus driver, the guy that goes out and gets the booze, the hookers, the pimps and the intern, he can have everything that's left.

Just make sure you're the pyrotechnics guy, the lighting guy, the sound guy, the tour bus driver, the guy that goes out and gets the booze, the hookers, the pimps and the intern

Back