So how important is the equilateral triangle?

kidkage

Bored of Canada
10641074_10202992336871173_1247429402396153005_n.jpg

My mixcube is dead center in the room.
My Focals are equal distance from it and the side walls...
But there's 40 inches tweeter to tweeter, and 36 inches from each tweeter to my ears :(

Should I:
A.) Do some repositioning of the monitors to get them 36 inches from each other at the risk of no longer being centered in the room (EDIT: I guess they'd still be centered if I moved each one in...)
B.) Sit back a few inches so I'm 40 inches from the tweeters but then deal with having to reposition the reflection panels on the sides
C.) Assume that since the inverted tweeters on these monitors make placement and position less critical that I should be ok
D.) None of the above
E.) All of the above

(Sorry that I took the pic with my phone a bit sideways :p)

I'm not sure perfect will be a factor. Is your listening space otherwise perfect?
I'm about that same amount off on mine (the other direction. 52" tweeter to tweeter, 56" to my ears from there. But I tend to lean in when I mix, so I probably get it pretty close at that point...Point is, the sweet spot on my monitors is not 3 degrees. It's more like 15-20 degrees (somewhere in there).

---------- Update ----------

AFA the picture, I just assumed you'd need a trackball as a mouse would always roll off the desk...:)

I'm not sure perfect will be a factor. Is your listening space otherwise perfect?
I'm about that same amount off on mine (the other direction. 52" tweeter to tweeter, 56" to my ears from there. But I tend to lean in when I mix, so I probably get it pretty close at that point...Point is, the sweet spot on my monitors is not 3 degrees. It's more like 15-20 degrees (somewhere in there).

It isn't perfect, but I'm trying to get it as close to perfection as I can.
Got the monitors centered in the room, proper stands, and treatment - all of which I didn't have before lol.
I know home studio environments will always have some sort of issue that a person will just have to learn so I'm trying to eliminate the issues that I can.
Sounds SOOOOO much better already which is why this 40" tweeter to tweeter and 36" tweet to ear is annoying me so much.

Btw, I also tend to lean in when I mix and I mix at low levels - hence the desire to have that 36" triangle.

Since your monitors are on stands.....why not just pull the desk away from them and have it all be 40"-40"-40". :)

Personally, I think even 40" is too close for good stereo imaging...but I guess when you work with just a keyboard and computer monitor in front of you, there's less option or desire to be back further....like you would get with a console in-between you and the monitors.

I've got mine almost 6' appart. :eek:

Yeah, I just moved mine onto stands and off the riser. Needed some space between me and the M3-8's @ 220W per...Moved them back almost 2' and couldn't believe the difference. Have the rear facing ports pumping just to the inside of the bass traps and I'm getting a lot better picture.

6'?!! yikes lol

Yeah, I probably will just pull my table back a bit. Hopefully that won't make me have to reposition my side panels with the mirror test.

Back