So how exactaly do you dump edit...

The term "dump" edit is used because you are discarding an unwanted section of tape.

How you do that on a 38 is by pressing the edit button with a reel of tape loaded on the machine, the take up reel motor is disengaged and as you press play, the tape is spewed onto the floor, once it has traveled past the capstan and pinch roller.

Hopefully, what is being ejected onto the ground is an un-needed section of tape!:eek:

I am sure we are all familiar with the term; "Cut and Paste" from using our computers right? This is a term loosely borrowed from editing tape where you are discarding un-needed sections of tape and splicing them back together to form a coherent program like having a number of songs re-arranged in a specific order on a reel or piecing together a number of dialog takes to assemble a 30 second commercial but cutting and pasting, physically, the lines you need in the correct order and with sections of leader tape in-between and at the head of the reel for perfect sections of silence.

Is this helping?

Cheers! :)

I see, so it's a play mode to physically edit (With the intent to splice and/or disgard) that doesn't need the second tension arm engaged to run the motors.
(And the capstan/pinch roller keep it tamed while it's unspooling.)

So obviously to empty all of my sticky reels, I'd just cut the tape off the reels or pancake dump them 'cus it'd be self defeating to run all that gummy mess across the transport.

Cool Man thanks.
:)

Back