Snark Clip-on Tuner

junplugged

Taking the slow road
I saw it on a guitar the other day at an open mic, i looked it up, it was only like $12 so i got one.

I use the vibe setting, pretty cool, i got the chromatic since I tune down a lot....

Haven't yet used it in noisy situation tho... anyone else?

That's really why i need it, when i have to tune but really can't hear my axe so well.

Yeah...if you get a pedal like the polytune or the boss chromatic tuner, you bet you'll tune spot-on. I have a TU-3 and it never failed on me...and I do a lot of gig around here.

But if just paly at your house, when you are praticing, a clip one will work.

I have 2 of these:

Snark SN5

One of 'em I've never even opened, it's still in the box for a backup. These work pretty good for what I do, dunno how they'd do at a gig, I'd been using the POD Farm vst tuner & ReaTune, so I'm pretty happy with it for the $$$...

I don't have a Snark, but have a Korg mini an d couple of the $3 Reverb.com clip-ons. They all work well, and are as accurate as my pedal. The real advantage of a pedal tuner is for live use - muting your guitar while tuning.

I don't have a Snark, but have a Korg mini an d couple of the $3 Reverb.com clip-ons. They all work well, and are as accurate as my pedal. The real advantage of a pedal tuner is for live use - muting your guitar while tuning.

If you use the clip-ons, you can just turn the volume on the guitar off...

I've bought 3 or 4 snarks of various models in the last two years.

Pros:
Easy to swap around - everyone can use the same tuner without unplugging any pedals.
Portable - they're pretty tiny.

Cons:
Easily lost - they're pretty tiny.
Finicky - They don't work well in noisy environments; they don't work well on instruments that aren't guitars; you sometimes have to fidget them around to get them to register.

If you use the clip-ons, you can just turn the volume on the guitar off...

Well, yeah. But between putting the clip-on on the guitar (from wherever you put it and have to search for), turning it on, turning the volume down, tuning, taking the clip-on off, don't forget to turn it off .... If you're using a pedal board live, it makes sense to put a tuner pedal on it ... I've got a Korg PitchBlack, but there are models now that let you look at the tuning for all 6 strings at once.

My problem with clip-on tuners is I think they look lame. I wish I had some deeper meaning behind my distaste for them, but that's just how it is. The new Polytune clip looks pretty stealth though.

My problem with clip-on tuners is I think they look lame. I wish I had some deeper meaning behind my distaste for them, but that's just how it is. The new Polytune clip looks pretty stealth though.

I leave the Korg Mini on my Taylor headstock, it folds down flat, and is a simple black rectangle when off. The clip-ons with big round dial face and double-jointed arm are ugly.

It's true. They do look kind of weaksauce left on. I had the mini for a while, but lost it at a show. It was even more finicky than the regular one.

I'm thinking of getting one of these for live use. They're a lot cheaper than pedals and I already have enough on my pedal board without accidentally clicking a tuner and muting the whole chain!

I can't see how they would be affected in noisey rooms 'cos surely they work of the resonance through the headstock - maybe even as an electric guitarist you could clip them to your cab?

I can't see how they would be affected in noisey rooms 'cos surely they work of the resonance through the headstock - maybe even as an electric guitarist you could clip them to your cab?

I use the Korg AW-2 and it seems pretty accurate to my ears, but it does suck when others are playing loudly. Just last weekend I had some people over and the drums and bass were playing and the tuner was all over the place. Im pretty sure its because it was loud as fuck and you got sound waves blasting into your guitar resonating the wood like a bitch.

I use the Korg AW-2 and it seems pretty accurate to my ears, but it does suck when others are playing loudly. Just last weekend I had some people over and the drums and bass were playing and the tuner was all over the place. Im pretty sure its because it was loud as fuck and you got sound waves blasting into your guitar resonating the wood like a bitch.

Yup, my mini-snark flips out with bass and drums.

Ah, you think it would be ok with a loud pub though if the drummer or the bassist aren't going mental? Think I might stick to a pedal.

In my style of music, there's pretty much no need for the clip-on tuner. At gigs, I'm using a tuner pedal. At home, I'm using a tuner pedal. They're great for acoustic guitars, but if you play electrics and have a tuner pedal, then they're pretty much pointless.

Honestly the only time I even use the clip-on is when I'm feeling exceptionally lazy and literally don't want to carry anything to band practice. I already have cables, amps, and cabs at the practice room and I'm perfectly happy not using any pedals at all. I'll just throw the Snark and some picks in my guitar case and go to practice carrying only the guitar.

Back