snare to loud in overheads ASAP!!!!

patlang12 said:
I really don't like the way the bass drum sounds in the overheads. Any suggestions on how to record with no bass drum in the overeheads?

the only way to keep it out of the overheads is to not play the bassdrum.

you could do something really drastic like rolling off everything below like 800hz, and scooping alittle bit of around 3k. you'll be left with only a little bit of drums in the overheads, but the sound of the cymbals will be effected and you'll still have to mix the overheads kind of low.........but if you do that, there really was no reason to use the recorderman o.h. technique. And it might cause more problems that you solve. but it's worth trying i guess.

maybe you could try and isolate the kick drum a bit? put a blanket over it or something? i doubt thatd help that much though...

or maybe you could have the drummer not actually play the kick drum... and then dub in the kick drum later lol.... i wonder if that would work very well...

I think we will be trying to get more a a live feel though so I don't think overdubbing the bass drum will work. I was thinking of a blanket but I was trying figure how to use a blanket without it getting in the way. Any suggestions?

snare too loud in OH?

If your snare is ever too loud in the final mix, and bringing it down in its single track isn't a desired alternative....face the OH's further from the snare. Point the OH's at what the quieter pieces are (maybe your ride or hihat) as opposed to pointing it straight at the snare or your large crash cymbal. Also, you may want to raise your OH's higher above the kit, to let it breathe a bit. Let them catch the overall sound of the kit. This way it should catch every volume more honestly and realistically. If your snare is louder than everything else in your kit when you are in person, then it will come up that way on the recording. If that's the case, avoid aggressive snare rim-shots (which make it sound even LOUDER) and try dampening it with a plastic ring, or just a small amount of paper towel and masking tape.

If you don't like how something sounds in the OH's, it means you probably don't like how it sounds. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t. :)

Work on the bass drum sound, mic choice, mic placement, etc. before any drastic eq or compression.

It's usually wise to use a high pass filter on the overheads... around 150hz.

You do want some of the kick in the overheads. It just adds to the overall kick sound.

I see close mics as adding definition to the overhead sound.

However, I want the low end to be tight.. hence the high pass filtering.

i don't see any reason to have him NOT hit the snare softer.

He's already told us that in reality the snare wasn't too loud, but in the case that it really was, him hitting the snare softer IS the best way to fix the problem.

Back