Snare Test

VWYF11

Hey, I've been getting snare sounds lately trying to mix different microphones to come up with a good snare sound. I came up with this one. I really like the ring of this but just cant get the ring to pop out more in a mix. The snare sounds good alone but in a mix loses that ring. One thing I was wondering, I'm using an ambassador bottom snare head. Will a diplomat resonant head increase ring or just snare buzz? I'm using single ply heads on both heads with no muffling to really get the most ring I can. Any ideas what will capture that ring better while still capturing the natural snare sound? You can download the file here: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4056&alid=-1
It's saved as snare test. Thanks.

when you say ring, are you talking about the overtone coming off the head, sort of like the lars ulrich snare sound on the most recent metallica disc? (really overdone, imo)

if so, believe it or not, bad tuning will do the trick, single ply head will work best. (thicker heads have some tone control worked into them) get the top head to a tone that sets off the bottom head with a wacky harmonic, and it should work for you.

a steel snare shell will also be much easier to get this effect from.

Back