Snare recording discussion

RezN8

Blick-um, blick-um...
During a break from some session work last week we got into a long discussion about recording snare drums. It was a group engineers and drummers. I figured I’d pass along some of the things we talked about:

Tuning- we all had different ideas about tuning – some like a tight bottom head and loose top head. Others crank the top head almost to the point of choking. We all agreed it depends on the music that is being recorded. If the music needed a strong back beat on the 2 and 4, most prefer a very loose top head. For fast ghost noted and rolls, tighter heads were preferred.

We all seemed to prefer single ply coated heads on snares for MOST situations.

A big tip for all of us drummers- inspect your snare wires!!! Are they in good shape? Bent? Evenly spaced on the drum?

The engineers generally preferred to tune the bottom head to a pitch that complimented the song. I mentioned tuning my bottom snare to a “G” after seeing a video about Bohnam’s kit. We all agreed just that tuning alone created an “excited” tone against basic rock tunes in the key of A and E. (“Rock n Roll” and “When the Levee Breaks” as examples).

Dampening- dampening would be used ONLY on rare occasions when the slightest ring from the snare would “get in the way” of the tune. For instance if the ring would detract the listener from the vocals, etc. Proper tuning techniques were critical.

Microphones – One of the engineers used Real Estate as an analogy. “location, location, location!” Where in the room the kit was placed seemed to be a big concern. How far from the walls, how far from the corners, how tall are the ceilings, etc. I asked about different rooms and the oldest engineer said he could really make any space work by moving the kit around to find the best spot in the room first. Then use moving blankets to tame nasty reflections. Then TUNE the kit to the room. I thought that was very enlightening.

Then came mic placement. The smallest movement of the snare mic made a huge difference. Nobody agreed on the “best” place to put the snare mic. All agreed it really came down to who the drummer was. Then it was what type of snare.Then it was how that mic related to the overheads. Most preferred: Sennheiser MD 441, SM 57, Audix i5.

Most also preferred the mics to be NO CLOSER THAN two inches from the snare. Three-finger rule was a good starting point. Opinions on angles varied from vertical to horizontal and everything in between. All agreed you must move the mics around to find the best spot.

We all agreed the size of the kit played a big part in how the snare would sound. Just think about it for a minute, or better yet, do some experimenting of your own! A snare surrounded by toms will sound much different than just a snare hi-hat and kick.

We also discussed some interesting details:

Which sticks you use changes the sound A LOT as well. An acorn shaped nylon tip vs. a ball shaped wooden tip. Are you whacking the snare with all your might or tapping it lightly.

The STAND makes a difference! Many drummers tighten the snare basket so tight that it actually chokes the sound of the snare and keeps it from resonating. It’s best to just lay the snare on the rubber parts of the basket without tightening it at all. Just keep it loose but without letting it move around on you. Also, on some of the real cheap snare stands, the metal piping will ring and mess up your sound. Same thing with the microphone stands. None of the engineers liked to use the old clamps on the rim either (only for live use they said). They did mention the new tiny gooseneck mics were cool though, but a little pricey.

Also be careful to place the snare on the stand so the snare wires are not sitting on the rubber part of the basket.

We also talked about body styles and how that can affect the sound of the snare. Think about it: The snare sits between your legs. Is it whole drum above, below or even with your legs? A person with fat legs around a piccolo snare will record differently from a person with boney legs around a deep snare.
We talked about the height of the snare- the distance from the floor seemed to play a part in the overall sound of the snare – as well as how close we sit to the drum. Our whole bodies also act as sound absorbers.

Air movement seemed to be a big topic. Recording is all about capturing the movement of air. So if the air is thick and humid in a room with parkay floors and cedar walls, a wood snare will sound much different from a cold, dank cement basement trying to record a metal snare.

That’s about all I can remember now. Some of it is common knowledge but other tips were very interesting. Hope this info is useful. Cheers, Rez

One more thing

I just remembered a big part of the discussion in the beginning was on how each drummer strikes the snare in his/her own way. Where you hit it- dead center for less ring, off to the side, the angle of the stick, how much of the rim you hit on rim shots, etc.

We also talked about how you hold the stick and how much energy is absorbed by your hand, arm, etc. How tight or loose you grip the stick seems to change the sound in a big way. Just some more things to think about. Cheers, Rez

thanks Rez, good stuff and its good to refresh ones memory on drum techniques, the size of the drummer at a kit is a good refrenece, I had a tall skinny player record with a fat snare and a 300 lb'er record w/fat snare, different kits but the sound due to body mass was amazing, yes there is a big difference, also skinny drummer used "marching" stciks, ker-pow so technique and equipment are very important. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting this Rez. This should be made a sticky and all new drum recordistas should be forced to read it.

interesting point on the tightness of the snare stand's basket. i hadn't actually thought about that before. i've always cranked it tight so it didn't move and never really paid any mind to what that might be doing to the shell's resonance. i'm going to loosen mine and see if that sounds better. :D

i've learned something today--rep for you!

cheers,
wade

my problem recording snare is that it sounds dull and like its in a box I want to get a nice clarity sound I tried to eq it but I am not getting results like I want to.any ideas?

Assuming the snare actually sounds lively to start with, you will often get that dull boxey sound when close micing the top head.
This is really evident when the batter head is thick (not single ply) , been deadened to eliminate ring, not tuned well etc.

The snare does not develop the sound you hear in the room at 1 inch off the top head.
Giving the mic a little distance from the snare (maybe 2 inches off the edge pointed more parallel to the drum head than perpendicular), will tend to eliminate that choked sound.

Use thinner heads for recording when possible.
Don't eliminate the ring and overtones until you have actually recorded the drums, and heard on playback there is an issue. Making them sound controlled as you sit behind them often means the mics will pick them up as dry and thudding. The overtones and rings gives a certain life and vibrancy to the drums that I personally really like.

The mics don't hear the same as your ears, particularly at less than a few inches from a drum.

My experience anyway.

Tom

Last edited:
Most of the snare sound should actually come from the overheads. The close mic is just there to reinforce that sound, as necessary in pop recordings. Also, since the snare has such a quick attack and release, and almost no sustain, in order for it to pop out more in the mix, using compression, as well as letting it bleed into other mics, can make it sound longer. The longer the snare is, the easy it is for people to recognize that it's there. This only really works when the snare is <20 ms long. A good technique is to set a fast release on your compressor. If the release is fast, then it is almost like riding the fader up. That only works if you have makeup gain applied, because when the compressor releases the signal, the gain is still being applied.

On a side note, there was an incredible seminar at AES this year regarding recording the snare. These are a couple tips I picked up. He went on to describe exactly why tuning your drum makes a difference, but frankly, I don't remember exactly what he said. I know that it has to do with the modes of the drum heads, and even the shell.

Good post, just wanted to add my little couple of pennies.

I thought maybe my head was the most problem I have a remo power dot head but I am buying a new head this weekend but another thing is I can get a better sond with the over heads turned up but the cymbals are to loud I don't have an outboard gate and I don't know what to do

I thought maybe my head was the most problem I have a remo power dot head but I am buying a new head this weekend but another thing is I can get a better sond with the over heads turned up but the cymbals are to loud I don't have an outboard gate and I don't know what to do

The balance of things in your overheads are controlled by playing style and mic placement.
Most studio drummers develop a technique of really smacking the snare and toms while going with a little more finesse on hats and cymbal.
Having said that the placement of your overheads can make a drastic difference.
Placing the mics closer to the toms and snare helps, even if it means micing from below the cymbal height from in front or directly over shoulder from the drummers perspective. (I guess they are not OVERHEADS at that point).
If you have not investigated the "Recorderman's Drum Method" you might do so.

Yeah nice stuff man.
I never thought about the size of the drummer or size of drum kit making the snare sound different.

For a snappy cracky snare I believe its best to tighten the top head more than the bottom head, and to get punchy toms tighten the bottom head more than the top head. Tightening the top head more than the bottom for toms seems to produce a boomier sounding tom.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I could be. :)
Eck

RezN8 is definitely a competent user who always brings something to the table, but let me summarize his initial post because the amount of words in it is confusing the noobs. In NO WAY am I diminishing RezN8's contributing history or its value:

1. Different drummers like to tune their drums differently.
2. Not all drummers use the same kind of sticks.
3. Not all drummers use the same kind of heads.
4. Not all drummers tune their drums the same, but most agree that tuning the drum is important.
*5. A fat drummer will sound different than a skinny drummer playing the exact same kit.
**6. Move the mic around to find the best spot for it.

*I've put a little thought into #5, and have yet to come up with a reason that would make this point worthy of including in the initial post. IMO, a skinny drummer will sound different than a different skinny drummer playing the exact same kit, too. So WTF? :confused:

**Who here besides me thinks that a drummer has no business touching a microphone? Raise your hand. Yes, you.

RezN8 is definitely a competent user who always brings something to the table, but let me summarize his initial post because the amount of words in it is confusing the noobs. In NO WAY am I diminishing RezN8's contributing history or its value:

1. Different drummers like to tune their drums differently.
2. Not all drummers use the same kind of sticks.
3. Not all drummers use the same kind of heads.
4. Not all drummers tune their drums the same, but most agree that tuning the drum is important.
*5. A fat drummer will sound different than a skinny drummer playing the exact same kit.
**6. Move the mic around to find the best spot for it.

*I've put a little thought into #5, and have yet to come up with a reason that would make this point worthy of including in the initial post. IMO, a skinny drummer will sound different than a different skinny drummer playing the exact same kit, too. So WTF? :confused:

**Who here besides me thinks that a drummer has no business touching a microphone? Raise your hand. Yes, you.

Post of the year!! Can I get a "seconding motion"?

Another vote for making this a sticky from a newbie.

...and Chuck, stick around awhile. It's an awesome forum. You'll learn a tremendous amount of valuable information for free. You'll also be able to count the amount of stickies in all of the forums combined on one finger. This ain't it.

Thanks for summing it all up EZ but you lost some points on the reading comprehension portion of the test. :D

Back