Snare Rattle

mm2k5

Is there a safe way to get the snare to stop making that noise. I dont wanna tape the snares down as i feel i will lose quality, and possible damage to them...any suggestions

Snare buzz is related to several factors. The tuned pitch of BOTH heads, the type of snares, the type of drum shell, the tension of the snares. I think what is really vibrating is the snare head, the snares are just amplifying the vibration. I've found it is not possible to eliminate it - you just change the frequency(s) it's sensitive to and how loud it is.

I like my snare sound lower than most (too much marching band) so mine tend to have the bottom head tuned higher than the top. Sometimes detuning one or more rods will help and heads with tone rings. Very thin snare heads are more sensitive than thicker ones. You can adjust the felt mufler if your snare has one.

Another thing to try is pre tuned snares. Rhythum Tech Active snares are ones you should check out. I use them on my set at church and they rarely buzz.

Good Luck!

Bob

Bulls Hit said:
Have you tried tightening them a little?

And if that doesn't fix it, you can use a little tape at the ends of the snare...not much or youll kill it. You can sometimes isolate if its one snare wire, cut the offending snare wire. Get new snares for the drums, if your switching then alot they can stretch a little.

Trial and error ;)

SoMm

it is buzzing from like the guitar and bass guitar, doesnt do much when my kick or toms are hit....

i'd try retuning the heads SLIGHTLY...it seems (from what you've described) that the heads are probably resonating at a frequency that the bass and guitars play in... or try tuning the bottom head tight and then loosening (slightly) the two lug nuts on either side of the snare. Ive had good results using this too.

snare buzz

following is the methods I tried:
(1)Try cut 2 stripes of paper, put it between both end of the snare wires and the bottom head.
(2)detune the 4 tension rods near the snare wires. (for a 10 lugs snare)
(3)is the snare wires installed properly?? is it in the centre??
hope this help.

drummercat

Unfortunately if it is caused by a bass or guitar, there really isn't a whole lot you can do without losing snare sensitivity. The aforementioned tape and paper are good options. Steel cable snares such as those from Grover may improve options as well. Individual notes on the bass or guitar are vibrating the snare heads at their resonant frequency. This is greatly enhanced by a very loud instrument. So, other than reworking the song to not include those notes :D there isn't a whole lot you can do...

It's The Snare !!!!

You need a snare for studio purpose only or a professional one with a snare bed..... It is so the wires are seated above the snare side far enough so when you hit it it sound's but vibration's won't make it rattle you can also buy a device called the active snare system i seen it at musician's friend and interstate music that simulates the snare bed on snares that do not have them mostly the steel ones..... hope this help's and you are right you could tape them but you will lose some natural sound ...

Back