Snare drum tuning

mrhotapples

I've got a problem. My band's drummer's got a pearl forum series kit and the snare has, at times, sounded really good, but it's mostly been random. I understand how to achieve different sounds with toms and kicks, but snares, not so much. We play a mix of ska, punk and progressive rock (we love unison fills) so we need a snare that will cut through when it's smacked but still be sensitive enough to play lower volume.

I guess what I should really ask is, what's everyone's method behind tuning? How high are the heads tuned, how about vs. eachother, vs. the whole kit?

Tuning snares is the height of tuning skill

There are just so many variables to consider. First, the bearing edges on the snare must be perfect (it is after all the drum that gets the most use). The choice of heads makes a big difference. I prefer a coated Remo Ambassador on the head and a fairly thin high tuned resonator (I tune the resonator up a half step from the note of the batter). On a 14" snare I prefer to tune the batter to a middle G. (It is essential that all lugs have exactly the same note when struck about 1 1/2 - 2" from the rim at the lug. The snare wires. How are they making contact with the resonator head? Is the throw-off a good one and does it keep the snare wires in good contact? I like mine snug, but loose enough to get good sound with light strikes and brushes, but not so loose that they continue to buzz a lot when other sound from the room (within reason, bass guitar doesn't count) is happening. Really good snare wires are essential. For your first attempts, use straps (they work well) and save using cords for when you really want to tinker around a lot. Personally, I use the straps almost all of the time because the cords require too much maintenance. If the resonator head has been tightened so much that it has stretched too far, you won't get the straps to the throw-off to work properly and it's time for a new resonator head.

Back