SMPTE on edge track?

nomadnz

Hey you.
I'm finding that trying to record SMPTE timecode on to the edge track of a 1903 wax cylinder device results in the wax simply being gouged off the drum, rather than a nice square wave impression being recorded... Any suggestions? Also, since the cylinders are becoming rarer, I'm looking for donations of non-infected earwax to start production of my own brand.
Thanks guys. :Þ

The edge track? Wow. A multi-track wax cylinder. Thats unique, man!

In any case, the SMPTE signal is not a square wave, cuz that wouldn't be recordable on any analog medium, really. Your problems could come from several sources. Maybe the tones that make up the SMPTE signal are too high frequency for your wax type? Also, this type of signal should use a lower needle pressure, and be aware that the amplitude is very high and constant. If nothing of this helps I would think you just are in bad luck. Maybe your wax recorder happen to resonate in these frequencies? Then you could try switching to a heavier or lighter needle, to move the frequencies somewhere else.
Good luck! :D

[This message has been edited by regebro (edited 07-18-2000).]

What are you trying to sync it up too? ANd why? I find this really intresting...

You shouldlook in the Guiness Book of world records and see if ther's a guy who hold the record for the most ear wax produced and see if he's still alive and if he want to go into business with you!!! :D

-jhe

No, birthday candles are pretty expensive, but you can mold them by hand, so you don't need any expensive molding equipment. I hear thats what the Spice Girls master on...
ordinary candles are cheaper, but will, as most wax types, require special equipment to make them into rolls.
The Perferct Circle album is supposedly mastered on a Latvian brand of black candles.

[This message has been edited by regebro (edited 07-25-2000).]

SMPTE on edge track

Aha!!
Well Mr ex-kiwi-come-Aussie, I'm now in Brisbane....
I'm finding the heat here is beneficial for melting the wax in my ears... I've now moved to a Sony WAX-3348 digital multitrack :p
Left my gear in NZ unfortunately. Going stir crazy!!
I'm about to purchase a Fostex E2 and get it shipped here.
should give me something to fiddle with...

Back