smokee smokee screw up my gear

csp2013

I would like to know if there is a way to reverse any damage caused by heavy smoking in my studio/control room? I did some work many years ago in a studio and we were smoking practically on top of a very nice trident console, I kind of figured that" smoking around the gear will kill it" thing, was a myth...................Until my masterlink died suddenly of undetermined causes, disk death do to control module failure caused by ????????????????????????????????????????smoking?????????????????? I know that this is gonna suck, but after you tell me how stupid I am for allowing this, would you please tell me how to undo, slow down, reverse, whatever I can do. Thank you for the upcoming abuse, AND help:facepalm:

You can clean off basic gear surfaces with some Fantastic and then Windex...etc. I've dealt with that issue about 18 years ago when I use to smoke, and finally quit, and then decided to clean off all the gear in my studio.
Years of cigarette smoke will leave a yellow-brown film on everything, and that film isn't easy to remove. It's not like wiping your windows clean of basic dust and dirt.
It was a LOT of work cleaning all the gear, and I use a lot of towels and Q-Tips to get into all the small areas, around buttons and knobs, etc. Things like removable plastic buttons/knobs, like on my console....I just put through the dishwasher and then rubbed them clean/dry.
Still...it took daaaaaaaaaays to get it all clean, but luckily, nothing was permanently damged....hope I can say the same about my lungs. So far, 18 years later, my lungs are working well and no sign of any serious damage, but I still wish I never smoked at all. At least I was smart to quit while it could still make a real difference, and it has!

AFA cleaning all the internal electronics, mechanics and optics of the Masterlink.....forget about that, ain't gonna happen without you damaging things even more.
The sealed electronics are not going to be affected by cigarette smoke film....but the minute, moving mechanisms could, and certainly the laser optics.

Thank you very much, and I will spend months if I have to. The Masterlink has passed on to the great studio in the sky, thanks for that info also, as I will be acquiring anotother one. I hope the same for my lungs.:)

Back