Smashing Pumpkins Gish sound

gwayms

Can anyone tell me what the pumpkins use to get the distortion sound on the Pumkins 1st cd GISH, their best cd in my opinion. I really like the dirty sound and cant seem to re-crete it.

I think someone used to crouch down behind Billy C and grasp his testicles while he sang.... oh... you meant the guitar sound, didn't you... :o

Not sure about in the studio but I know Live during that time period it was a strat through some type of marshall amp. The Electro Harmonix big muff was a big player on the Siamese dream album but no idea about Gish.

yeah from what I heard he used a 1974 strat with stock pickups, plugged into the ADA MP1, which he ran straight into the board.

and on subsequent albums he used a modified marshall JCM 800. he apparently replaced the stock tubes with a set that are meant to not distort at higher volumes. and then he got his distorted sounds from pedals like the Big Muff.

that's uh, that's what I heard.

I think he used the JCM800, and he put in some 6L6 tubes. I read somewhere how he had all the controls set, and you should be able to find it if you do a search. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the correlation of the gain and master volume... Basically they were both cranked up pretty high... But don't take my word for it, do a search. I've never had the chance to crank an amp up that high... :o

Back