Small solid state amp - whats your favorite?

darrvid

I'm looking to get a small (10watt preferably) solid state amp for practicing. I have a blues jr, but just don't want to run down the tubes and sometimes need something super easy to move around.

I'm looking at the orange crush 10. Looking to get a crunchy/blues tone. Just something cheap, and small. Whats your favorite out there considering those requirements?

yeah, those oranges are nice i think, or go with a small marshall or vox, thatd be cool.... they sound nice depending on the sound you want. Just go try some out.

a buddy of mine has a Orange Crush amp, it sounds just like my Gorilla from 1986. I could be getting old or something...

Never messed with an Orange! I have played with a small VOX, and I'd recommend it for just about anything. If you're playing speed metal, don't get a VOX, but for basically anything else, it's great! ;)

If you really want solid state only, I'd go for the Traynor TRM40. I got it for $150 shipped to my door. For the money it blows everything else in it's price range right outa the water, especiazlly those grab-aess Marshall MG-DFX toys. (No offense!)

They call it a 40 watt amp, but it's really two channel output at 20 watts per channel. It has a super subtle-but-sweet chorus built in, and it has two speaker out jacks, so you can run two external cabs at 20w each. If you plug it into a 4x12 or a 2x10 it is just HUGE! Seperate pre and post volume knobs for each channel, they share the tone controls.

For the money, this thing screams and rocks! It's the most tube-like ss amp I've ever had.

But if you dont mind a hybrid, those Vox AD15VT and AD30VT amps are pretty cool. I like the AD50VT because it is loud enough to jam with, but small enough to carry in one hand, and it has the "power soak" knob on the back so you can set the speaker volume without changing the amp tone.

soundchaser59 said:
If you really want solid state only, I'd go for the Traynor TRM40. I got it for $150 shipped to my door. For the money it blows everything else in it's price range right outa the water, especiazlly those grab-aess Marshall MG-DFX toys. (No offense!)

They call it a 40 watt amp, but it's really two channel output at 20 watts per channel. It has a super subtle-but-sweet chorus built in, and it has two speaker out jacks, so you can run two external cabs at 20w each. If you plug it into a 4x12 or a 2x10 it is just HUGE! Seperate pre and post volume knobs for each channel, they share the tone controls.

For the money, this thing screams and rocks! It's the most tube-like ss amp I've ever had.

But if you dont mind a hybrid, those Vox AD15VT and AD30VT amps are pretty cool. I like the AD50VT because it is loud enough to jam with, but small enough to carry in one hand, and it has the "power soak" knob on the back so you can set the speaker volume without changing the amp tone.

I'll second the Valvetronix 30. A friend left one at my studio for me to putz around with, and I'm pretty impressed with the range of sounds it gets. It's LOUD, too when you want it to be, and I was surprised at the low end it gets from a single 10 inch speaker.

ggunn said:
I'll second the Valvetronix 30. A friend left one at my studio for me to putz around with, and I'm pretty impressed with the range of sounds it gets. It's LOUD, too when you want it to be, and I was surprised at the low end it gets from a single 10 inch speaker.

Another vote for Vox...

But if you don't want all the models and stuff (plus it's not 100% solid-state...12AX7 in the power section), I'd recommend the Vox VR15 or the VR30, if you can find them.

No models, no effects...just an amp with 2 channels.

I love my VR30...and I loved it so much, that I went out and found a used Vox AD60VT (similar to the current AD60VTX).

Back