small room, full band > what pattern mics for drum overheads?

osus

hello,

i'm recording my five-piece band in a small room. the lineup is drums, bass, keys, guitar and sax. we prefer to get the feel & sound of recording as much simultaneously as possible. currently we're running bass and keyboards direct until we get more equipment and better skilled to mic them.

right now we've been miking kick and snare with mics from a budget AT set and miking overhead with an EV PL77B (battery-powered cardiod condenser--it's a field broadcasting mic, i've been told). I actually love this mic, and it's doing the job pretty well (i know, i just answered my own question) but as omnis seem to be the standard for overhead applications, i was wondering if this would be a good area to upgrade. my concern is that an omni would pick up too much of the rest of the band and make mixing the drums more of a challenge?

to put the question in one sentence: can cardiod condensers be used to better effect in a small room as drum overheads?

thanks!

osus said:
....but as omnis seem to be the standard for overhead applications...

Cardoids are used much more often for OH's then omnis(on drums at least). Most mics that will be recommended to you will be cardiods.

If you really like that mic, i would look into getting it a partner so you can go stereo.

Back