small guitar amp

just bought a 1x10 small guitar amp.
tried several times,but still can't get the sound I want.
I wonder if it's miking problem or something.
I use SM57&beta57 -- VoicemasterPro -- 828mkII
is that a small amp can't sound full like 4x12cab in a mix?

Most small amps come with pitiful cheap speakers. Several people have reported replacing the 10" in a Pignose G40V with an Eminence Patriot Rajin Cajun and getting excellent results...or, alternatively, hooking up a "real" speaker cab.

Does the amp sound good when you just play through it? If it dosen't, then it wont sound good when you record it. If it does then you need to experiment with things like mic placement, amp placement (relative to your recording room) the room itself and other things which affect the way sounds are recorded. Be bold, things in a studio setting do not have to look pretty, they have to sound good. If putting the amp in a box in the corner is what it takes to get the sound you want, then that is what you have to do. Closets and bathrooms are often the best place to record small amps. Think about what you want to hear then experiment to find how and where to get that sound.

anywhither said:
just bought a 1x10 small guitar amp.
tried several times,but still can't get the sound I want.
I wonder if it's miking problem or something.
I use SM57&beta57 -- VoicemasterPro -- 828mkII
is that a small amp can't sound full like 4x12cab in a mix?

Thats the reason right there.

You don't even know what the small amp is. Do you?

How long have you been playing guitar? Try turning the distortion down. You usually need no where near what you need live when tracking if you want the guitar to have punch.

Oh, and a 10" speaker probably isn't the problem unless is just a crappy speaker.

Try double tracking the guitar parts. ie 2 sperate tracks, play it twice, record it twice. Then mix to taste.

You have a lot of options here. Part of it is that you are trying to make a 10" (probably inexpensive) speaker sound like 12" speaker (usually much better quality). They have different sounds. I am not a big 10" fan so all of my amps and cabs have 12" speakers. You can get a DI box for a temp fix. The cheap Behringer guitar DI box will emulate a 12" in a 4x12 cab for you pretty well. It will probably get you closer than a not so hot 10."

Another set of questions have to do with what sound are you looking for from the amp? Do you like the tone of the amp live? Are you looking at clean, slightly driven or overdriven? If are not getting what you like in the room with you that you will probably not when recorded. There is only so much I have ever seen anyone do with a track. Start with something you like it is just so much easier. Related to this is if you are close micing or using your 2 mics to close and distance mic. How much of the room are you wanting to pick up? If you do not have a good room for your sound you will not like the result of the distance mic.

Also in most cases the guitar tracks of bands use mutiple takes of the rhythm guitar parts eq them differently or mix in various amps/ distortion levels. It fills the space better.

Just some thoughts from my end.

Dale

Back