Small condenser - Matched Pair

Ty

First of all , happy new year to you all.

In the next couple of weeks I will be getting
a pair of small condenser, after reading everything
I could find on these microphones I would probably
go for the OKTAVA MK 012, but as there are so many
Matched Pairs out there in this price range,
I thought it would be interesting to see which one
you would suggest.

I will be using them for overhead most, but sometimes
for choir and A- Guitar.

RODE NT 5 - 349 EUR
STUDIO PROJECTS C4 - 333 EUR
MXL 603SPR - 259 EUR
MXL 604SPR - 429 EUR
OKTAVA MK 012 - 378 EUR
SE ELECTRONICS SE 1A - 353 EUR

Last edited:
Reactions: SRR
I own the Oktavas (older Russian version) and the C-4's, as well as a pair of Neumann KM184's. I prefer the Oktavas to the C-4's as overheads, except maybe for jazz. I prefer the C-4's as a stereo pair. I've done a full orchestra with the C-4's and the Oktavas, and the C-4's were the clear winner for that application. I keep both around, but most of the time, the Neumanns get put up.-Richie

Ty said:
In the next couple of weeks I will be getting
a pair of small condenser, after reading everything
I could find on these microphones I would probably
go for the OKTAVA MK 012, but as there are so many
Matched Pair to chouse from in this price range,
I thought it would be interesting to see which one
you would suggest.

I've never tried them for overheads, but for acoustic guitar, you might look into a pair of Naiant MSH-1O mics (or whatever this year's model is going to be called).

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore.html

I really like my MK-012 pair for overheads, so that's a good choice for that application.

ive used the msh-1os for overheads.....definitely gets the job done comparitively to a 200-300 dollar pair

Richard Monroe said:
I own the Oktavas (older Russian version) and the C-4's, as well as a pair of Neumann KM184's. I prefer the Oktavas to the C-4's as overheads, except maybe for jazz. I prefer the C-4's as a stereo pair. I've done a full orchestra with the C-4's and the Oktavas, and the C-4's were the clear winner for that application. I keep both around, but most of the time, the Neumanns get put up.-Richie

what is the deference between the, older Russian version and the new Russian version of the MK 012.. if any.
Like I said most of the time they will be used for overhead (live and recording)
but sometimes, it would be nice to get a live recording of the gospel choir I work with,
the choir is mic'ed, so the matched pair would just be for the room mix,
I have seen the Shure SM81 used for this, but that and the Neumann KM184
are out of my price range.
I also have a Audio Technica AT4047/SV that could possibly help out with the choir, what do you think.

I can't find a dealer for the Naiant MSH-1O here in Europe.

MSH-1O and Audio Technica AT Pro37

Hi,

I have used these both for acoustic guitar and they are both recommended for drum overheads. I have also used the MSH-1Os to record a duet and they recorded the vocals great.

The AT Pro37 and AT Pro37r are the same mic. They made the 37r first and then dropped the r so the newer ones are AT Pro37. I emailed Audio Technica tech support after noticing the identical tech specs and they confirmed that they are the same mic.

The AT Pro37 is cardiod and the MSH-1O is omni. The Pro37 probably handles loud sound levels better than the MSH-1Os.

I went for both and got a pair of the Naiant omnis for $56 and a used pair, one Pro 37 and one Pro37r, on eBay for under $150 for the pair, bought separately.

$200 for two pairs. They live together in a little wood box.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: SRR
Back