Small condenser for sampling

GuineaMcPig

Hello everyone-

I'm looking for a decent small mic for sampling. I will be using a Sony MZR50 portable minidisc player, and will be using it to sample EVERYTHING. Conversations, noises, pretty much anything I find interesting. A stereo mic might be nice, but I'm not set on it. I don't think an Omni mic would work well...I want the ability to record sounds in the direction that I am pointing the thing. And I would like the mic to be relatively cheap. That's probably about as specific as I can get.

This minidisc recorder has plug in power, but I don't really know what that means. Is it the same as phantom power?

Can anyone recommend a mic that might fit the bill?

Thanks!

~Jordan

The Sony MD recorder doesn't have phantom power needed for a condenser mic. There are some condenser mics with a built-in battery, though, but then you are limited to a few hours "outdoors". For sampling/field recording a dynamic mic would do IMHO. Stereo could be nice, but if you use the samples later in a dense mix, it doesn't give you any benefits. Sony and AT have some fine dynamic stereo mics in the $<200 price range. I use a Shure Beta 57A and a Sennheiser MD441 with my Sony MD recorder for field recording/sampling, with great results.

Back