Small clipping

Mr. Ins@ne

I have some isolated tracks on the whole mixing that have small "clicks" and eventually some small "clips". Is there any cool pluggin for that matter? Declipper or sometihng?

Of course, the better way to handle it is not to have them there in the first place.... you can't fix clipping, once digital distortion occurs it's game over as far as sound quality goes.

If you google "declipper" you will see a good choice of selections. I've also had decent results using a de-clicker if there weren't too many successive overs.

As Bruce said though, best not to have them. Once you throw audio out into the bit bucket all you can do is extrapolate what you think it "was" or "should be" and have to compromise the surrounding audio to try to restore it.

Had to do some of this just recently. If you can find the track that's clipping, and it's not too frequent, I personally like to zoom in on those spots and redraw the actual wave to kill the peak. Im using Pro Tools LE for this by the way. If it's more excessive, yeah there are plugs that'll do it for you, but I've yet to find one that is good enough and reliable enough to do what needs done without somehow retarding the signal. You have to be careful with even the Waves plugs for this, even as good as the Waves stuff may be.

peopleperson said:
Had to do some of this just recently. If you can find the track that's clipping, and it's not too frequent, I personally like to zoom in on those spots and redraw the actual wave to kill the peak. Im using Pro Tools LE for this by the way. If it's more excessive, yeah there are plugs that'll do it for you, but I've yet to find one that is good enough and reliable enough to do what needs done without somehow retarding the signal. You have to be careful with even the Waves plugs for this, even as good as the Waves stuff may be.

Yep, another way to skin the cat.

Bruce did this on a project that we were working on to remove some clicks caused by as I recall by some software issues. Right Mr. Bear?

I don't consider clicks quite the same as clipping... clicks are very easy to remove, whereas clipping is damaged audio -- and there's no easy way of getting back what once was... and recording at 24-bit nowadays, there's no excuse for running levels too hot during tracking.

Tom - you're right...
On the Forbidden Dream project, some ticks from some edits (oops!) as well as lip smacks and other assorted noises produced by the band got thru to the final mix and even Tom's mastering (they were, in fact, very subtle) - I ended up declicking using the Sound Forge tools - they work rather well for that. Clipping restoration, is a whole different ballgame altogether though... and very few tools handle that very well (at least the ones I've seen!)

Assuming that it's impossible to fix the source of the clicks/clipping (by re-recording) and it is necessary to perform some restoration tasks Adobe Audition has a single click fix button that works transparantly in most cases if you've got a dozen or so clicks you want to zoom in on and declick. This is where headphones get a lot of use, doing this type of detail work.

If there are more clicks than that (which I usually don't see unless I'm declicking vinyl LP where there are many thousands of impulse noise type clicks) then I use an Audition 3rd party plug-in called ClickFix. ClickFix allows you to characterize the click width along with other parameters to ensure you don't remove [much] music if you make an automated run on the entire wave file. Sometimes impulse noise type clicks look tricky to a declicker in the forward direction because the ramp shape resembles music more than noise, but it's decay shape is clearly noise on examination if you zoom in with your editor - in this case Audition lets you 'reverse' the wave so it can be processed backwards and these types of impulse clicks removed (don't forget to reverse the file again :D )

As far as digital distortion like clipping goes sometimes I can do it with Audition de-clipper sometimes not like other folks are saying. In extreme cases where there's a lot of it it seems there's some analog saturation type distortion underneath the digital clipping and I can't do a thing about that stuff. It seems to be carelessness and/or simple ignorance during recording and mixing that causes this but I could be wrong (as Blue Bear mentioned with 24bit there's no reason to run too hot). At any rate the Audition de-clicker will lower the dB level of the entire wave based on the amount of headroom needed to reconstruct the peaks (they're flat tops at this point). I've had extreme cases where the wave was lowered 20dB before reconstruction would work. Following that the peaks are reconstructed either thru interpolation or by grabbing some audio on either side of the distortion like de-clicking does - I'm not sure how the de-clip algorithm works so that's a guess.

I try and get my buddies with clicks & clips in their digital recordings to take the steps to fix the problem at the source by examining the tracks with a decent set of headphones (not walkman type) at the time of recording - in addition to the good advice that you've already gotten. Sometimes a tick does get thru that you just don't notice till you push into an effect like a compressor!

Back