Small Amp for recording purposes.

avedic

Here's the situation. I play heavy progressive metalish eastern-tinged rock. A band like Tool comes to mind as an influence.

The guitar tone I'm after is fairly mid-rangey, brittle, not saturated with too much high Hz distortion, vulnerable yet powerful, and dry.

The intro riff to "Tourniquette" by Marilyn Manson is a fairly good reference.

Right now I'm using a very small practice amp and I'm actually getting fairly good tones when recording. I recently tried out my friend's amp. It was some 6' tall Marshall with 97,000 buttons and whatnot. I recorded it and it sounded aweful. It was that whole powerful and drowning in static sound popular in "nu-metal". I'm not into that...at all. I'm sure it would work great for a live gig, but not for my recording purposes.

So, my question is, do you know of any amps that would fit what I'm looking for. I need something small and inexpensive. I won't be using it for live stuff, so that's not a factor. My practice amp is ok, but the distortion sound more like TV static than rich organic friction.

Any help?

I have recomended the peavey transtube amps before (and kind of got flamed)....but...im sticking to it because I really like them. A bandit is strong enough to gig with and retails for about $400. The studio pro is lound enough to gig with if you mic it....but it is perfect for the studio. There are even smaller ones than the studio pro in the trans tube line...I think the smallest one is like 100 bucks...and it sounds really good.

Don't take my word for it, Go to a music store and try one out.

I would get on ebay and pick up a used Vibrolux. 2x10s make an awesome studio amp. It is not too big either.

jimistone said:
I have recomended the peavey transtube amps before (and kind of got flamed)....but...im sticking to it because I really like them. A bandit is strong enough to gig with and retails for about $400. The studio pro is lound enough to gig with if you mic it....but it is perfect for the studio. There are even smaller ones than the studio pro in the trans tube line...I think the smallest one is like 100 bucks...and it sounds really good.

Don't take my word for it, Go to a music store and try one out.
I have a Studio Pro II and it's an awesome amp. I also have a Prowler 112 Tube Combo that I recently recorded with an it turned out great.

CR ><>

Check out the new Roland Cube 30 modeling amp

Check out the new Roland Cube 30... great amp models, built-in digital effects, small, easy to move, rugged, around $240 new.

I bought one simply because the VOX AC-30 model sounded so great, then I discovered the Fender Blackface model and the Marshall Plexi model are good too.

Oh yeah... it's got the potential to be very LOUD too, if you want (or need) it.

I'm a fan of the sansamp/tech21 stuff.
As mentioned in the other posts, low wattage tube amps are great. I have a 30w Marshall Artist 3203 that kicks ass. It's like a 3/4 sized half stack without the volume and weight of a normal half stack. One of the beauties about it, is the ability to hook up to different cabinets. They're getting harder to find, but they do pop up on ebay quite a bit for pretty cheap.

Trademark 10!!!

ahuimanu said:
I'll recommend the Trademark 10 from ownership and having a good overall experience with it.

J-

Yes! This is the perfect *small* recording/practicing amp!! Best part is, you can make it sound *HUGE* when recording!!

Check out my tune "Hindsight is 20/20" for proof:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2903&alid=-1

You can check out another tune of mine "War13" that illustrates the "old-school" metal sound you can get from it:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/mrmoonmusic.htm

I also use it in conjunction with an ART MP preamp for my BASS rig! You can also hear that on "Hindsight is 20/20".

The amp is SWEEEEEEEETTTT!!

Let me know if you have any further questions about it.

-Mr. Moon

Back