SM7B - To preamp, or not preamp - a very common question.

rob aylestone

I think the question about using Cloudlifters with SM7B mics just goes around and around, so today I thought I'd do a video about the differences preamps make. I use an SM7B in my videos as a comparison mic - the same mic, the same position in each video, so people know what I sound like. Then, using other mics makes some sort of sense in that you can hear differences. My pet hate is SM7Bs, RE20s and other big mics in shot - I think they look ugly, so my SM7B works at an arms length. This is way too far for most people, and I needed a preamp. I have the Imperative Audio FET Pre device, not a Cloudlifter, and it really does a good job at a not too bad price. As my mic is a fair way away I really need it, but I'm never convinced they're essential when you use an SM7B in close, so I thought I'd record the results.

The recording chain has worked really well for me and is a bit odd. The cameras in the studio are JVC 700 series, and have nice enough preamps. Not special, or wonderful - just neutral and have enough gain for most purposes. Normally this is the feed in point, so it goes mic - preamp - camera input - SDI out with embedded audio - Blackmagic ATEM - Blackmagic Hyperdeck - SD card - Adobe Premiere.

Today, I recorded direct to the cameras - one doing the usual SM7B/preamp combo, but the other SM7B direct to cameras with no preamp. The conclusions were what I suspected. At a distance - the preamp was essential, but touching lips and nearly touching lips I'm not certain I could really hear the preamp 'helping'. All recordings were simply normalised to get the peaks to match, and the result is the noise floor going up and down.

At least now when people ask about preamps, they might see the video and be able to hear what we constantly seem to bang on about.

It may also depend on where your track is going, like always. If you're recording a voice + guitar/keys/backing, then the extra noise (and/or bleed) might be enough cover for the gain boost you'd have to do in post, but if it's just you chattering away, then you probably want the CL or other in the chain.

The last video I did I had my dynamic out a good bit from my face, and no preamp. I did need to boost the gain a fair bit, but in my little space, with some guitar mangling (and bleed) going on, it was Ok. (I probably will use a preamp in the future, if I replace the one I "dumped" after it failed. Even though it was repaired at no cost, I decided I'll see if I can live without one for a while.)

Many of the posts I've read here and at other places, when someone who has recently purchased the SM7B is complaining it's not loud enough for recording or streaming a vocal, they're almost always advised to use the Cloudlifter or some such similar device as a booster. Yet your video clearly demonstrates that using the SM7B close up (100-150mm) without a preamp works quite well for normal speech. Should be able to handle singing, no problem. For those complaining about low output, are their interface preamps not giving the SM7B what it needs to perform as yours has here without the FET Pre? IDK . . .

The SM7B at arm's length sounds fine, though there is noticeable "room" there - very slight reverb.

It would be nice to have a video demo such as yours here from some of those saying their SM7Bs weren't loud enough, so we could make some comparisons.

I have wondered how a SM7B would perform with my interface should I buy one. From reading many posts on the mic's low output, I had resigned myself to purchasing an FET or Cloudlifter at the same time, but your video has removed that question.

That's pretty much what my thinking was - it's discussed endlessly, when the mics are perfectly fine. The people who say they're not loud enough just made me wonder what they're doing. The arms length distance showed very clearly how average preamps don't do it well - but as you say - getting closer makes the hiss pretty much go away.

that was excellent, and it is like a picture stating a gazillion posts on the infamous SM7x.

the mics are designed for an application, when used as designed...up close in this case, excellent sound of voice "eating the mic", no room noise, no amp needed really.
further away, yes, mic booster yes, the room noises .... I actually love the looks of the mic, lol, kind of bad black metal batman darkknight metallica looking tank shape...

my KSM44 is supersensitive but hailed for low "self noise", so I add the pad for it, making it less sensitive -14 range, and getting closer helps remove the room noise etc...

anyway, great post, when you had the SM7 up close and no booster, it sounded really professional, thick, and articulate with clarity, nice low end.

Back