sm7b case?

mikedaul

So, I just purchased an sm7b. Yeah, it's awesome, but it's actually a lot heavier than I expected. I also expected that it would include some sort of protective bag/case. Right now, I'm just using the styrofoam box in which it came, but that seems mighty ghetto. What are folks using to store their sm7bs? I've been thinking about picking up a smallish camcorder bag for it.

Thanks for any help!

SM7B Case

Do you have a Fry's Electronics near where you live? They have these great inexpensive hard cases with foam inside. You can remove little pieces of foam to customize it to your needs, and they have different sizes too. My buddy got a larger one for all of his mics, I'm going to pick up a smaller one for my new SM7B. I'd try that first. Go to the Fry's website, and type in "foam case" in the search, several pop up.

Hope that helps!
A.C.

The only mics I've seen with protective cases are Behringer, the C1 and T1 both have hard cases. Get thee self to a nunnery. Not right, a hunting store. Usually called sporting stores but you want one with an emphasis on hunting, not badminton. Why? You want to go to the pistol area. Cause you're going to put a bullet through the mic. Just kidding. You want a pistol case. Real hinges, egg crate foam, under 10 bucks for anything you're gonna need. Actually I need to go there myself, though I don't take my mics anywhere with me. Protection for some of the more expensive ones, including an SM7B, would be nice. Get in there mah san, you will soon see what I mean.

The packaging for the 7B is seriously lacking, I agree for a mic that expensive, My C1 (39 bucks) has a hard shell case.

You want to be careful with most of the foam out there used to line all kinds of different cases. The foam will soon start to deteriorate and get into everything and everywhere that you don't want it to then your cleaning for days on end.

If you want a soft shell case you can go to Home depot and get a "Husky" zipper bag made for tools, made out of canvas. Looks like a jumbo microphone bag and easily fits two Sennheiser 421s with their clip and quick release attached. ;)

Last edited:
if you're gigging a lot, invest in a small pelican case. if you're keeping it in a mic locker, zipper bag works fine...even the styrofoam is perfect, i mean it's packed that way when you buy it for a reason right? if you're worried about it looking ghetto then your priorities are misplaced.

I thought cotton hanky to allow for breathability (according to my Mac that is actually a word) so no build up of moisture, and still keep the foamies (not a real word apparently) off the mic. Course the internal pop filter is all foam. Not sure what to do about that. You're own you own there.

Back