SM7 vs RE-20 vs ATM25

Bassman2003

Hello,

I am looking for a nice dynamic for recording that will fit these roles:

1) Studio Voiceover
2) Kick/Bass cab
3) Intrument - Trumpet/Sax

I have a Presonus Firepod for location work and a Firewire 410 for home use.

I listened to the Senn. 421 and did not like it, so I came up with these three.

If the ATM25 is close it has a price 1/3 of the others, it will probably win, but quality is important to me.

Thanks

I got the ATM25 and I got a tell you, excellent for heavy bass applications (floor tom, bass drum, bass guitar, etc) but I wouldn't recommend it as a first choise for voice. RE-20 get's the popular vote I guess.

Bassman2003 said:
I listened to the Senn. 421 and did not like it, so I came up with these three.

Not sure what you mean when you say you "listened to the 421" and didn't like it. :D Oh well.

I'd say ATM-25 is fine if all you're planning on using it for is kick / toms or guitar cab. RE-20 pops to mind when you mention brass and voiceover.

RE-20 or SM7 would be fine choices. I've read that the RE-20 is less picky about having a high-gain preamp than the SM7. I have used mine with a preamp with +55dB of gain (GT Brick) with fine results. It will cover all of your tasks admirably. Got mine on e-bay for $265, though they usually go for ~$300.

i haven't used, but heard and read LOTS of good things about
the RE-20

i like my 421 more than my 57's, but everyone's got a different taste

I went to Guitar center and plugged in the the Senn. 421 to listen how it sounds.

I did not like the sound of the mic. We compared it to a SM57 and some other mics and the other mics sounded better imho. The 421 lacked low-end and sounded hollow at the top.

The RE-20 seems to be getting the nod over the other mics so far.

Thanks

I think the RE20 is the best choice if you really need to use it on kick. Otherwise, I think the SM7 is better than the RE20 on voice and instruments.

The nice part of the RE20 is the Variable-D proximity effect reduction, which is not offered by the other two choices. I find this very useful for live vocal performances where the lips-touching technique is used by the singer. I have two RE27 expressly for this purpose.

I own two ATM25, and both are very dull for voice work... no sparkle. This is no surprise to me, because voice is not the design point for this mic.

The low sensitivity of both the SM7 and RE20 are an plus for high SPL instruments, such as brass. I would like to own an RE20 just for my sax player.

Bassman2003 said:
I went to Guitar center and plugged in the the Senn. 421 to listen how it sounds.

I did not like the sound of the mic. We compared it to a SM57 and some other mics and the other mics sounded better imho. The 421 lacked low-end and sounded hollow at the top.

Did you have the M-S switch set on M?

Bassman2003 said:

Thanks

I'd be willing to bet the bass roll-off selector was fully engaged to the "no low-end shall pass" setting. The GC loser showing you the mics probably didn't even know the 421 can roll-off the low end.

The 421 is a damn nice sounding dynamic.

Your probably right.

I will go back and try the mic again.

we all expected more out of that mic.

Well, If the 421 is a good choice, then how about the

421 vs SM7 vs RE-20?

for Voice and Instruments

(I just won an auction on Ebay for a ATM25 for $76)

Thanks

i've used the sm-7,atm25,re-20 and md421 and in my opinion, they're all kind of swiss army mics and this would be my order of preference an re-20, an sm7, the md421, and the atm25. the re-20 and the sm7 would be hard to choose between and the 421 and atm25 would be a little easier. I would take a 421 over the atm25. just my opinion though.

mshilarious said:
Did you have the M-S switch set on M?

By the way... do you know what the M and S stand for?

I couldn't find an explanation anywhere in the manual. It only took about 5 seconds to figure out what they did. But it bugs me that I don't know what the M and S mean.

Scottgman said:
By the way... do you know what the M and S stand for?

I couldn't find an explanation anywhere in the manual. It only took about 5 seconds to figure out what they did. But it bugs me that I don't know what the M and S mean.

music and speech. or maybe it was music and suck. i can't remember for sure now.

cominginsecond said:
I think the RE20 is the best choice if you really need to use it on kick. Otherwise, I think the SM7 is better than the RE20 on voice and instruments.

You took the words out of my mouth. Agree 100%

m and s mean.....mid and side......wait that is for setting up a stereo pair of condensers for a stereo setup or for a stereo mic that hasa variable pattern switch like x/y or m/s.....so i could be talking about something totally different and if i am i am sorry....i must agree with stefan above.....though i will admit that i have used the sm7 more than the other mics.

Back