SM7 and M88 questions

musical5

Im considering one of these 2 mics. What I would like to know is, are either of them okay for distance micing? I have been normally using a 57 up close and a 4050 away, on guitar cabs. Can either of these produce good results from a couple feet away from a cab? I want the mic to serve multiple duties, vox, kick, cabs. Does anyone here own both? I live in Phoenix and cant even find a place to demo them. Which is more usefull overall?

Thanks

I know the SM7 is really versatile, but your gonna need plenty of gain either at the preamp or at the amp if your MICing far away because SM7 has a similar output to the SM57 might be even lower...

Last edited:
Haven't used the M88, but I love my SM7. Excellent on guitar cabs, vocals, and snare. Very versatile. Get a used one and save.

I have them both, but I don't record guitar cabs, sorry.

For your standard rock band I'd favor the SM7 for loud vocal or with warm proximity effect, bass, kick and I guess from the recs of others guitar cabs. For jazz or world I think I'd lean towards the M88 for its strength on brass, hand drums, tight vocals, etc.

Teacher said:
I know the SM7 is really versatile, but your gonna need plenty of gain either at the preamp or at the amp if your MICing far away because SM7 has a similar output to the SM57 might be even lower...

I wont have any problems using my Phoenix Audio Preamp, I wouldnt think so anyway. Is the pickup response of the SM7 as tight and narrow as a 57?

Thanks

mshilarious said:
I have them both, but I don't record guitar cabs, sorry.

For your standard rock band I'd favor the SM7 for loud vocal or with warm proximity effect, bass, kick and I guess from the recs of others guitar cabs. For jazz or world I think I'd lean towards the M88 for its strength on brass, hand drums, tight vocals, etc.

Thanks for that info. Do you prefer the M88 on vox, in most cases?

Thanks

musical5 said:
What I would like to know is, are either of them okay for distance micing?

Not really a forte for either one of them. These are both the kind of mics that tend to sound better close up.

musical5 said:
Thanks for that info. Do you prefer the M88 on vox, in most cases?

Hmmmm. The SM7 is better for thin vocalists (like me) due to its delicious proximity effect. The SM7 is good for screaming, although to be honest I haven't tried screaming into the M88. The SM7 is better for voiceover too (naturally).

The M88 is more of an all-around star with a more natural sound, but since you've already got the 4050 I guess I'd be inclined to go with the SM7 for vox.

Im going to get rid of the 4050. I have only found it usefull for distance micing guitar cabs, and once on cello. Im lacking a good kick mic, and I will need a great amp mic. Its just a plus that both can work on some vox. I use my CAD M9 for most singers. Still use the C1 on most ladies though.

Include the Electro-Voice RE15 in this short list, along with the M88 and SM7,
if you add another general use microphone.

It was very popular with blues and rock and roll bands who recorded live in the studio, singing/playing their instruments at the same time (60's/70's).

Elvis and Dolly Parton's vocal mic choice on most of their RCA hits.
Easy way to get some "Sun/RCA" type tone on my vocals.

It became "hip" for guitarists after Keith Richards started using it on his amp BTW.

And the RE15 still sounds great today, but all three mics are classics with a long pedigree.

Chris

P.S. A cheaper alternative to the SM7 is the Beyer Sound Star MKII.
Also called the Model 400 or M400, comparable in sound quality/type.
Just not as flexible as the SM7's on board eq switching.

Back