SM58s as room mics for guitar amps

Kronpox

Heya there, quick question

I recently started thinking about picking up a Shure SM58 for recording vocals. I have an SM57 as is, and it really lacks as a vocal mic. I was thinking I could use the SM58 mainly as a room mic for my guitar amp (since I record guitar much more often than I record vocals) and for vocals when I need it. I mostly record metal, and want to pick up some more ambience for my tracks to thicken them up. Would the SM58 perform the way I'd like it to? Also, would it be able to perform well in an XY with the 57 right at the speaker cone?

Sorry for the n00bly mic questions.

The 57 and 58 are essentially the same mic. The biggest difference is the 58 has the ball end and that affects the mics response.
If you want a ROOM mic and want to use it for vox too, look into a large diaphragm CONDENSER mic.
Rock-on! :D

the 57 and 58 are cardoid condensors. They have something called proximity effect - it basically means there's a huge difference between what's transmitted when your sound is a foot away from the mic to the sound made right beside the mic. Try one out with your voice and see. start far and then move closer gradually.

Generally I haven't found that a Cardoid is great for a room mic. the proximity effect is just to much....you don't get the real sound...you get a wash of sound. I find that Omni mics work much better.

HOWEVER! I have found that a cardoid LDC is MUCH better than a dynamic cardoid for doing room micing. In fact, since I don't have an omni I use LDC's because I don't have another choice and it seems to work fine! I'm sure you could use a 58, but my advice would be to pick up an LDC (you can find decent ones for cheaper than a 58...like the MXL V67). If you can afford it, get a multi pattern and use the Omni feature.

Jacob

yep i recommend going for something like an MXL V67 and using that as a 2nd mic for guitar cabs!

I use it with an SM57 close mic'd and they give 2 distinct flavours to the guitar recording! Very useful ....

Man, I love this forum. It stops me from making silly choices like these.

I'll check out the MXL V67 when I have the time. I hear people talking about it, and as far as guitar amps go, it sounds like something I want- Does it help with my original problem about being good for vocals, though?

If you haven't noticed, I'm kind of new to the world of mics, the only mic I have any extensive experience with is my 57. So thanks for the help.

The SM57 and 58 are DYNAMIC moving-coil mics. Those mics and any with similar designs are made for picking sound up at close range; they are not very sensitive at a distance.

Condenser and ribbon mics are more sensitive for distance miking.

If you're going with a cardioid condensor, a small diaphragm will generally sound better as a room mic than a large diaphragm. If you have a few hours, read the big sticky thread at the top of the Microphones forum.

jkokura said:
the 57 and 58 are cardoid condensors.

Can't edit now, but that was a HUGe mistake...sorry...I was supposed to type dynamic. I know that. You know that. I'm embarrased I made that kind of mistake.

Jacob

Back