SM58 vs SP C3.... no contest!!

KevinTran

OH MY GOD!!!

Why didn't someone tell me how much better the condenser mics are vs the dynamics.

Being such a newbie (that's why this post is going here) I had no idea what to expect from my new studio projects c3 mic.

I've been singing for about a decade using shure's sm58. Ignorance was bliss i guess. The C3 is crisp, pure, so true to the original sound.

In comparison, the sm58 is very warm. I have to put so much more effort into singing into the dynamic microphone too.

Jeez, my eyes have been open. I love this microphone (C3)!!

kt

Ah, the joys of innocence! :D

I clearly remember my first condensor mic- an AKG c1000s- back when they were a great deal and there were NO cheap mics.

I was floored by how clear it sounded compared to my 58. It was like having cotton removed from my ears. I even found that I could turn the noise redux on the 4-track off and STILL get a clear sound. Ah, the freedom!!

Enjoy that mic, man! Its a good one and it'll probably take you quite a ways before you figure out what you need to compliment it.

Have fun,
Chris

Oh, yeah-

And remember that the dynamic mics still have a place in recording. There may be times when you'll want to use it for your backing vocal tracks and it may well smoke the C-3 for distorted electric guitar.

Just don't forget to get it out every now and then and try it. As you learn to use the c-3 you'll be surprised at how much more you'll be able to use the 58.

Have fun!
Chris

Oh yeah. Definately get the 58 back out again and see what it can do when you get a new preamp. Those dynamics REALLY respond well to good preamps and can sometimes knock your socks off.

Was it Tom Petty that recorded his vocals with an SM57? The kick on the Chili Pepper's "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" was also miced with a 57 at some point.

OK. I'm done now.

Enjoy the mic. :)

-C

Kevin, heed Chris's advice! Do you think Elton John sings into cheap dynamics because he can't afford a condenser? No, his voice sounds good through it, and I'll guarantee he doesn't use a cheap preamp. The signal from dynamic mics, including ribbon mics, is generally fairly weak, so it requires a lot of gain from the preamp.
When you try to get a lot of gain out of a cheap preamp, it usually sounds like shit. So what do you do? Exactly what youve apparently been doing-Turn the preamp down and sing louder and closer to the mic. Many mic-swallowing vocalists aren't doing it to get more proximity effect, it's just how they learned to deal with cheap preamps and cheap PA's. They also learned to do it to reduce feedback issues with those cheap PA's.
Now I don't happen to sound good on Shure dynamics, my voice is bright and needs a little more proximity boost. I sound good on AKG's, especially D690 and D770. Now I've got perfectly good condenser mics, including one high-end main vocal mic (B.L.U.E. Kiwi), but some of my tracks really are being cut with AKG D690. One I bought for $85 when I was young and foolish, and the other for $36 when GC was blowing them out after it was discontinued. However, it's plugged into an Avalon AD2022, which does not come cheap.
Your SM58 is an industry standard for stage and recording, including vocals, but it needs a really good preamp or a very loud source to sound any good. Untill you get that killer preamp, it's a stage mic or a drum mic or a guitar cab mic. When you put it through a wicked preamp, you may find it's- a main vocal mic. You heard it here first-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Kevin, heed Chris's advice! Do you think Elton John sings into cheap dynamics because he can't afford a condenser? No, his voice sounds good through it, and I'll guarantee he doesn't use a cheap preamp. The signal from dynamic mics, including ribbon mics, is generally fairly weak, so it requires a lot of gain from the preamp.
When you try to get a lot of gain out of a cheap preamp, it usually sounds like shit. So what do you do? Exactly what youve apparently been doing-Turn the preamp down and sing louder and closer to the mic. Many mic-swallowing vocalists aren't doing it to get more proximity effect, it's just how they learned to deal with cheap preamps and cheap PA's. They also learned to do it to reduce feedback issues with those cheap PA's.
Now I don't happen to sound good on Shure dynamics, my voice is bright and needs a little more proximity boost. I sound good on AKG's, especially D690 and D770. Now I've got perfectly good condenser mics, including one high-end main vocal mic (B.L.U.E. Kiwi), but some of my tracks really are being cut with AKG D690. One I bought for $85 when I was young and foolish, and the other for $36 when GC was blowing them out after it was discontinued. However, it's plugged into an Avalon AD2022, which does not come cheap.
Your SM58 is an industry standard for stage and recording, including vocals, but it needs a really good preamp or a very loud source to sound any good. Untill you get that killer preamp, it's a stage mic or a drum mic or a guitar cab mic. When you put it through a wicked preamp, you may find it's- a main vocal mic. You heard it here first-Richie

I had no idea. Once I get to the point of getting a high quality preamp, I'll check out what you just said. Great lesson for me. Thanks, Richard.

kt

Back