SM57 Vs...

HyperAXISZ2

I've heard nothing but good about the SM57 dynamic mic... Well, for the most part. With all the good about it, I'm wondering, how does it fare against a condensor microphone? I hear about all these studio having SM57's, but it's a dynamic microphone, which by no means do I mean that it should suck, but it's just that I've been lead to believe that generally, dynamics mics pale in comparison to a condensor mic...

So I just threw down $100 for the B1 Behringer condensor mic, and the SM57 is $90... how's the quality of SM57 compared to a condensor mic... mistake? :eek:

No not a mistake. They are just different. You might like the 57 better on elec guitars, but you may like the B1 better on vocals. They handle sound differently, but you will figure it out soon when you compare them.

HyperAXISZ2 said:
I hear about all these studio having SM57's, but it's a dynamic microphone, which by no means do I mean that it should suck, but it's just that I've been lead to believe that generally, dynamics mics pale in comparison to a condensor mic...

Dynamic microphones are *different* than condensers, both operationally and soundwise. Like all tools they have their uses and strengths. For one dynamic mics have excellent off-axis rejection and can sound larger than condensers. Dynamics also have a higher resistance to sound pressure levels (SPL) and can be put closer to loud sources without risk of damage.

That being said a SM57 becomes a totally different microphone when hooked up to a quality preamp like a Neve, Euphonix, and so forth.

The SM57 is rarely the perfect mic for any job, but it'll usually do pretty well. Dynamic mics work best on loud, thick sounds - drums, guitars, bass, some vocals, etc. Condenser mics work best on more delicate sounds - xylophone, vocals, acoustic guitar, etc.

Try them both on different sources and you'll hear the difference pretty quickly. It's obvious.

The 57 is like duct tape. Every handyman should have it in his toolbox. But there are specialty tools out there that will do a better job.
I wouldn't use duct tape on a job where super glue will look and hold better.

bennychico11 said:
The 57 is like duct tape. Every handyman should have it in his toolbox. But there are specialty tools out there that will do a better job.
I wouldn't use duct tape on a job where super glue will look and hold better.

Duct tape does work well in keeping a overly zealous vocalist quiet.

read Harvey's big mic thread. It'll give you a better understanding about the different types of mic and what applications they can be used for.

Compulsive reading for all newcomers.

That being said, The SM57is the workhorse of the dynamic world. It will record a LOT of different sources well enough to get you by in any given situation.

In the condenser world, forget the Behringer B1. The Studio Projects B1 is to condensors what the 57 is to the dynamic world. Again, not AMAZING on anything in particular but it'll give you good useable results for very little wonga$

If I had to choose 1 condensor and 1 dynamic to take to a desert island (with my power genorator and other equipment obviously) it would be the SP B1 and the SM57

LemonTree said:
If I had to choose 1 condensor and 1 dynamic to take to a desert island (with my power genorator and other equipment obviously) it would be the SP B1 and the SM57
A low-budget desert island, obviously.

mcolling said:
A low-budget desert island, obviously.

The guy's got 24 posts and doesn't know the difference between a dynamic and a condensor, if I wanted him to throw money into something he might lose interest in further down the line I could have suggested an RE20 and a U87....however.... :rolleyes:

LemonTree said:
The guy's got 24 posts and doesn't know the difference between a dynamic and a condensor, if I wanted him to throw money into something he might lose interest in further down the line I could have suggested an RE20 and a U87....however.... :rolleyes:
Yeah, for sure. I'm just saying that for a desert island I would maybe not choose the B1 or the 57 (although they are decent and cost-effective mics).

?? Yes, I don't know the technical and extreme differences between a condensor mic and a dynamic mic - but what I do know is that condensor mics run on +48v phantom power and generally pick up greater detail than a dynamic mic... Plus, it wasn't until recently that I've actually had the chance of using a condensor mic, I've only ever read about them - and I can't say too much until I hear the quality of a condensor mic compared to a dynamic mic of around the same price range. That's why I compared specifically the B1 and 57

LemonTree said:
The guy's got 24 posts and doesn't know the difference between a dynamic and a condensor:

Idk if LemonTree is mocking me about my inexperience or just trying to help :confused: , but in either case, my B1 works well for a home studio on a low budget... :)

HyperAXISZ2 said:
?? Yes, I don't know the technical and extreme differences between a condensor mic and a dynamic mic - but what I do know is that condensor mics run on +48v phantom power and generally pick up greater detail than a dynamic mic... Plus, it wasn't until recently that I've actually had the chance of using a condensor mic, I've only ever read about them - and I can't say too much until I hear the quality of a condensor mic compared to a dynamic mic of around the same price range. That's why I compared specifically the B1 and 57

Idk if LemonTree is mocking me about my inexperience or just trying to help :confused: , but in either case, my B1 works well for a home studio on a low budget... :)

I'm not mocking you, just trying to shine a little light your way. Comparing condensors to dynamics is like apples to oranges

Back