SM57 tapeop mod on other dynamics

Axis

oompa loompa
What would be the effect if this was done with another dynamic. Its supposed to change the sound of the 57 for the better but would it do so with a cheaper dnyamic like a PG57/PG58 or a cheap Audio technica or AKG.
Anyone tried this?

I don't have an answer for ya, but can you post some info or a link pertaining to the mod you're referring to. Thanks!

It will probably work well on any dynamic that has a really cheap / bad transformer.

If the transormer is actually decent/good, then it would probably be a bad idea, or just a waste of time.

Nate74 said:
I don't have an answer for ya, but can you post some info or a link pertaining to the mod you're referring to. Thanks!

in a nutshell, connect the sm57 cartridge directly to it's xlr plug (bypass the transformer). you'll need a mic preamp with quite a bit of gain to use it.

i tried it on a 545sd (similar to sm57 but brighter) and liked the results. unfortunately, the transformer in the 545sd is epoxied to the mic body and isn't exactly easy to remove.

Just FYI & FWIW there was an article in Recording recently that had a DIY project for an in-line unit you could build cheaply to achieve similar results without boiling your mics, and all the other crazy stuff that was in that TapeOp mod. Don't have it handy unfortunately and can't comment on how difficult it would be, though it sounded relatively easy for someone with DIY skills. It was also said to be helpful for other dynamics.

Run the leads across a couple of caps (good quality 10 to 47 uF, 63V), otherwise if you have a global phantom power switch, the mic's response could be distorted in a bad way.

Back