sm57 pop filter?

Azza666

hi all,

i just bought a shure sm57 for a general sort of mic.

i've got a friend who wants to record some vocals and was wondering if anyone can recommend some sort of pop filter?

i'm not an expert on this but from what i've seen you can get ones that are like a screen and attach to the mic stand and other ones appear to go over the actual head of the mic itself

does anyone know what the difference is (sound wise) and if there are there any advantages / disadvantages?

or perhaps there is some sort of VST that can cater for this?

any help or advice would be much appreciated!

many thanks in advance :)

cheers

For studio use get a Popper Stopper or similar goose-neck mount nylon mesh type. You can use them to give a singer a reference for how far to stay from the mic, and they work better than the foam style.

The foam type are more for live use. They are somewhat effective for windy conditions.

For studio use get a Popper Stopper or similar goose-neck mount nylon mesh type. You can use them to give a singer a reference for how far to stay from the mic, and they work better than the foam style.

The foam type are more for live use. They are somewhat effective for windy conditions.

True and the wind screen encapsulates the whole head of the mic where as the pop filter leaves the mic open and more natural. :cool:

You can buy a windscreen for a SM57, "Shure A2WS Locking Windscreen" for sale here, but shop around.

A SM57 with the A2WS would look like a smaller SM7.

Cheers
Alan.

funny fact. The SM58 is an SM57 plus a windscreen, all the guts are exactly the same.

The transformers are slightly different, one has a few extra secondary windings although I forget which. I don't own them anyway so I can't test myself . . .

Just cheated, it's the SM57 with the extra windings, for an extra 0.14dB output :drunk:

A windscreen is *not* a pop filter, and they tend to scrub off a lot of highs. You should use them in *the wind* . I prefer steel pop filters, particularly Stedman 101:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=1185&Category=Recording_Accessories

Best of luck-Richie

With good quality ones there is hardly any difference, in fact you probably won't hear any difference. The problem is that most people use the cheap discount windscreens at 5 for a $1 and think that's OK, I use a windscreen on my Sennheiser ME80 that costs over US$80 and there is no sound difference with it on or off. My personal preference is to only use a windscreen if it is needed but if you need it use a good quality one. Any old foam is not good foam.

The original shure one I linked too would work fine.

Cheers

Alan

hmmm well its pretty much only going to be used for cheap home recordings so I don't need anything too fancy....

i've been having a look on ebay and have found the following

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Studio-microphone-pop-filter-wind-screen-mask-shield_W0QQitemZ110502848016QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Pro_Audio?hash=item19ba7ba610#ht_1930wt_754

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Pop-Filter-Mic-Wind-Screen-Gooseneck-Metal-Round-5_W0QQitemZ300403889901QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Pro_Audio?hash=item45f17796ed

i think the first one would probably be better but can someone explain what the differences are between steel ones and foam ones?

cheers guys :)

Cheap ones work fine. Just depends on how much "wind" you are trying to keep off the mic" I only need them with things that are heavy with plosives. But some people can pop just about any letter. Anyways I don't even need a pop filter on my sm57 but if there is some serious plosives I use it. My motto is, "The less things between the mic and the voice the better"

thanks mate, maybe i'll just hold off for now and see how it goes ;)

just out of curiosity, is your filter steel or foam?

I've always liked the SM57 on my voice and on a whim, I just bought the Shure aftermarket Windscreen. I put it on this evening and gave it a try. It really seems to add a bit of warmth to the mic and tones down the p'losives just a bit. I think I'll keep her on since I don't use it for anything other than vox.

The transformers are slightly different, one has a few extra secondary windings although I forget which. I don't own them anyway so I can't test myself . . .

Just cheated, it's the SM57 with the extra windings, for an extra 0.14dB output :drunk:

According to the Shure site they are "exactly" the same mic except for the ball on the 58.

Back