SM 58 can be a SM57???

Both the SM's are the same. The only difference is the head. The SM-57 is designed to provide an environment for instruments wheras the 58 for vocals. You can sing through the 57 and get the same results as the 58 but will have to remain in one position throught the song.

The windscreen (ball thingie) of the '58 prevents the diaphragm from being closer to the mic'ed source, whereas a '57 can be moved closer 'cause it has a very little wire-mesh screen. *It's all about the proximity effect.* Thus, the '57 is capable of greater lower freq. response.

SM57 40hz - 15khz
SM58 50hz - 15khz

Take off the ball and there ya go.

[This message has been edited by CJWalker (edited 06-21-2000).]

CJ... you might wanna check those 50kHz values... I would of thought somewhere around 15-16kHz would be about right...

cjwalker,
are you saying that if you have a sm57 and just buy the same head that is used for the 58, it will sound the same as the orginal? thats really cool.
Hey im going to ask a question right here so i dont have to make my own post:
Im buying the 57 and am wondering can i use it for vocals for recording? thanks. please email me kikling@mail.com

the 57 and 58 are the same mike. You can get a wind sock for the 57 - check out Clinton's mike at the whitehouse press conferences.

Kikling;

If you want to have one mic double for both chores, you'd be better off buying the 58. It's a lot easier to simply take the head off the 58 to make it into a 57 than to jury rig something for a 57 in order to make it a 58. Besides, the 58 can sound just fine for instruments with the head on. In fact, it's my favorite electric guitar mic like that.

Really ? Just take off the head of the 58 and its the 57? but doesnt the 57 have different frequency ranges than the 58 so it could do better on instruments? Maybe im wrong. Im just an ameture. but is the 58 as rugged as the 58? thanks alot.
kikling@mail.com

P.S- Dont think that i was triying to be sarcastic in that post. Because i wasnt. I just think it just endended up sounding that way. sorry if it did.

Hi again Kikling;

What CJ said about the proximity effect is correct to the best of my knowledge. So, yes they really are the same mic. You'd probably be better off with a 58 because of it's versatility and because they cost about the same. But hey, you should try recording both vocals and instruments with the windscreen off and on. Some vocalist need the extra lower midrange (especially females) that the 58 provides with that proximity effect and others need the clarity of the 57. Instruments are the same way. If you can get a 58 for the same price, you'd be better off.

They really are great little mics for the money. If you take care of them they last for many years. Yours will probably outlive you!

Nice mic hunting! :)

Back