Sly & The Family Stone

Mitchmusicman

Guys - I lost my Sly & The Family Stone greatest hits record 25 yrs. ago in a poker game back in college. I just replaced it with the CD. Although the songs brought back great memories :-) the tracks are gruesome. Especially bad is the bottom end, very muddy. When eq'd it is either there and muddy or not there at all. I saw these guys live 'back in the day' and the live sound was much better. I guess these guys were really one toke over the line when they did the final mix. What shame... by the way, does anyone know what ever happened to Sly?? Peace - Mitch

P.S. Cynthia was a hottie!

Not sure where he is now, but have you ever heard Sly's 'Fresh' album(cd..), it's the funkiest recording you will ever hear, cool tunes.

When "Fresh" was originally released on CD in America, there was a mess-up where the wrong masters were used and the CD consists of not just entirely different mixes, but entirely different takes than the original. I don't know if this has been corrected yet; I assume it has been, since it's been at least 6-7 years since it came out. I kept mine since it's a neat little collectors item, and the sound engineer in me finds the alternates interesting.

Back